GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: *.ov2 file format??

hulio is offline Master Sergeant
    Thanks

*.ov2 file format??

I am having issues with the .ov2 tomtom files

What i find is i can convert using many programs garmin's GPX, GPI, etx POI files
    to tomtom ov2 and they work fine on the tomtom

What i am finding is when i flick around the various websites for updated POI files for TOMTOM and i download the ov2 files that i can't read some of them them with any of the programs i have, I just keep getting file unable to load or read etc.

I use GPSBabelGUI, ExpertGPS, PoiEdit, GPS Utility, Extra POI Editor, GPSU File Converter
    and none of these will read some ov2 files
    is there a program that will read these files other than the above

See if i want to convert some ov2 files i downlown to garmin i can't seem to read some of the ov2 files i find
    but they do work on the tomtoms when i copy them over to the gps

i'm at a loss as to why some i can read and some i can't do anything with

any ideas?

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 305 Posts

Re: *.ov2 file format??

Where did you download the POIs from? Was it POI Plaza? > I heard some of the ov2 files there are corrupted. They have several formats there and hopefully they won't all be corrupted so you can use your conversion programs.

fporto is offline Private
    Thanks

So, why don't you get the OV2tools? Long time ago (2008) I have downloaded the file OV2TOOLS.ZIP with 2 files inside: DUMPOV2.EXE and MAKEOV2.EXE.

accordingly to this site below:

h**p://www.dotsis.com/mobile_phone/map-gps-guide-tools/37520-poi-speedradar-controlpoints-poland.html

The first tool, MAKEOV2, can be used to convert a simple text file containing the coordinates and names of locations into a ready-to-use OV2 file.
    The second tool, DUMPOV2, can dump the content of POI databases into text format (yes, text that can be used by the MAKEOV2 tool).

The use of DUMPOV2.EXE is simple and straightforward:

DUMPOV2 [inputfilename] [outputfilename]

Where "inputfilename" must be a valid TomTom Navigator POI file (with extension OV2) or a valid Route Planner or Citymaps OVERLAY file (with extension OVR). It is recommended to provide an outputfilename with extension ASC. If you do not specify any parameters, all OV2 and OVR files in the current directory will be converted (but existing ASC files will not be overwritten).

The use of MAKEOV2.EXE is as follows:

MAKEOV2 inputfilename [outputfilename]

The input file should be a text file (extension ASC is recommended) that should simply contain lines of text. Any line starting with a semi-colon will be ignored. Empty lines will also be ignored. All other lines are expected to represent points of interest. Such a line should specify a longitude, a latitude and a name, seperated by commas. It is recommended that the name is put between double quotes. A name should not contain double quotes. Longitudes and latitudes may be specified either as degrees and fractions of degrees, or in degrees, minutes and seconds. Both colons and single-quote/double-quote notation may be used for minutes and seconds. So, all the following lines are all equivalent:

53.5 , 4 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53.5000000 , 4.00000000 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53'30"00 , 4'00"00 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53'30 , 4'0 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53:30:0 , 4 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"

I found a link to it at this website:

h**p://www.grampianrepeatergroup.co.uk/gps/ov2tools.zip

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fporto View Post
    So, why don't you get the OV2tools? Long time ago (2008) I have downloaded the file OV2TOOLS.ZIP with 2 files inside: DUMPOV2.EXE and MAKEOV2.EXE.

accordingly to this site below:

h**p://www.dotsis.com/mobile_phone/map-gps-guide-tools/37520-poi-speedradar-controlpoints-poland.html

The first tool, MAKEOV2, can be used to convert a simple text file containing the coordinates and names of locations into a ready-to-use OV2 file.
    The second tool, DUMPOV2, can dump the content of POI databases into text format (yes, text that can be used by the MAKEOV2 tool).

The use of DUMPOV2.EXE is simple and straightforward:

DUMPOV2 [inputfilename] [outputfilename]

Where "inputfilename" must be a valid TomTom Navigator POI file (with extension OV2) or a valid Route Planner or Citymaps OVERLAY file (with extension OVR). It is recommended to provide an outputfilename with extension ASC. If you do not specify any parameters, all OV2 and OVR files in the current directory will be converted (but existing ASC files will not be overwritten).

The use of MAKEOV2.EXE is as follows:

MAKEOV2 inputfilename [outputfilename]

The input file should be a text file (extension ASC is recommended) that should simply contain lines of text. Any line starting with a semi-colon will be ignored. Empty lines will also be ignored. All other lines are expected to represent points of interest. Such a line should specify a longitude, a latitude and a name, seperated by commas. It is recommended that the name is put between double quotes. A name should not contain double quotes. Longitudes and latitudes may be specified either as degrees and fractions of degrees, or in degrees, minutes and seconds. Both colons and single-quote/double-quote notation may be used for minutes and seconds. So, all the following lines are all equivalent:

53.5 , 4 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53.5000000 , 4.00000000 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53'30"00 , 4'00"00 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53'30 , 4'0 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"
    53:30:0 , 4 , "Truckers Restaurant La Bamba"

I found a link to it at this website:

h**p://www.grampianrepeatergroup.co.uk/gps/ov2tools.zip

Fred
    Well that worked a charm many thanks
    i can now read those files

Quote Originally Posted by hulio View Post

What i find is i can convert using many programs garmin's GPX, GPI, etx POI files
    to tomtom ov2 and they work fine on the tomtom

What i am finding is when i flick around the various websites for updated POI files for TOMTOM and i download the ov2 files that i can't read some of them them with any of the programs i have, I just keep getting file unable to load or read etc.

I use GPSBabelGUI, ExpertGPS, PoiEdit, GPS Utility, Extra POI Editor, GPSU File Converter

See if i want to convert some ov2 files i downlown to garmin i can't seem to read some of the ov2 files i find
    but they do work on the tomtoms when i copy them over to the gps

i'm at a loss as to why some i can read and some i can't do anything with

any ideas?
    Yes some were from there but not all
    some from around the web in general

turboccc is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hulio View Post

If you have an issue with Extra_POI_Editor, just point me to an OV2 file and I'll correct the problem. This could be a type 64, but I can manage.

Turbo (author of Extra_POI_Editor)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turboccc View Post
    If you have an issue with Extra_POI_Editor, just point me to an OV2 file and I'll correct the problem. This could be a type 64, but I can manage.

Turbo (author of Extra_POI_Editor)
    here is 2 POI i can't view or edit
    I have not much of a chance to goes thru my folders
    but i know these 2 were giving me problems
    with your program
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Ok. Just got the files. I was not configured to receive notifications for this thread.. I will have a look.

Thanks

This is a type-3 OV2 file. It seems there is one more field information. Tell me what it is:

In the wifi file, the first POI has 3 fields:
    1-lon/lat coordinates
    2-a poi name: "WiFi HotSpot"
    3-a description? : AUS-Down Town Milk Bar

I need to know what I should do with the third field when importing to EPE. Add it to the POI Name? Put it in the description field? Something else?

Turbo

Thanks

The OV2 type 3 seems to allow more than one line in a POI name. The character "\000" (zero) seems to indicate a line break which would lead me to conclude the additional information should be appended to the POI name. Not sure how this would display on a Garmin. If I put the extra info in a different field, it will also be difficult to save it back to OV2 while preserving the same format.

Again. Let me know.

Turbo

Thanks

In the meantime, I posted a version of EPE v4.84 which will append all information found in OV2 type 3 in the POI name. You can find it here:

EPE v4.84