GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Help - with my tomtom xl 520

rabinthe hoose is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Help - with my tomtom xl 520

Hi,

i have a tomtom xl520 . I dont understand the difference between the navcore and the bootload version.

I downloaded the navcore to update the latest maps. When i did this, everything went into the tomtom ok and was working ok. However, when i go to tomtom home, a sign comes up telling me that there was a problem.

Have i installed the wrong version? Can anyone help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TRUCKERDAZZ is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Help - with my tomtom xl 520

Have you patched tthome?? have you tried fastactivate?? I'm new to this but i haven't really had any problems especially as ive followed the tutorials on this forum!! As far as i'm aware the navcore is the software that runs in conjunction with the maps (they have to be compatible) and as far as the bootloader... i thought that was to do with the "eprom" (program on chip in ttom).... 2 completely different things!. I know that you should NOT mess about with bootloaders!! especially if you don't know what your doing!! All i do is get both compatible navcore and maps........ectract them to tt / sd card.......copy "fastactivate" into the ROOT of tt / sd card and then run "fastactivate" (4 buttons to press!)...... Job Done!! and when ive connected to tthome...everything updates and works fine!

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Start from the beginning.
    I made a temp folder. Copied and pasted everything across.
    Formatted my tomtom.
    When i tried to copy everything back over once it had formatted, it told me that there was nothing on the f:drive.
    It showed you an icon, but there was nothing there.
    On the screen of my tomtom, all it comes up is a picture of my tomtom go 520, the screen shows a memory card with a red x over it. It is like the internal memory is down.
    Is there any way of repairing this?

TRUCKERDAZZ is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabinthe hoose View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Start from the beginning.
    I made a temp folder. Copied and pasted everything across.
    Formatted my tomtom.
    When i tried to copy everything back over once it had formatted, it told me that there was nothing on the f:drive.
    It showed you an icon, but there was nothing there.
    On the screen of my tomtom, all it comes up is a picture of my tomtom go 520, the screen shows a memory card with a red x over it. It is like the internal memory is down.
    Is there any way of repairing this?

When i originally had the "Red X" on my tomtom one XL it was because the tomtom could not read the sd card! It would only read cards not exceeding 2GB and i had a 4GB sd card. This meant that in order for my tomtom to read a larger card I had to install a new "Bootloader" onto the tomtom. SO.......1st.....what size card is your tomtom trying to read??........2nd.....What bootloader version is on your tomtom??.......And probably most important..Why did you format your tomtom?? Did you do a full backup of your tomtom on tthome 1st before you done anything else? I will have a search and see what i can find in order to help you out!! but in the mean time try and answer the questions ive laid out so i have a little more info.

Thanks

If you want to use SD cards larger than 2Gb your bootloader needs to be version 5.5022 or higher.
    If it is lower update it to 5.5022, that is a secure to use bootloader.
    This update can only be done with SD cards of 2Gb or less.

Be aware that if the bootloader update fails, your tomtom gets useless.
    Copy the system file (bootloader) to the root of your device, give it a 15 second reset and start it.
    Never interrupt the process and take care that the battery is fully loaded.

Thanks

hi thanks for your reply can you help me with a navcore that works on a tomtom xl 520 i have a 4 gig card uk maps are 855 2884 and i have a usa map 850 2784 Any help would be greatly appreciated.