Thread: Help with Tomtom xl with only 1GB space

aranha2222 is offline Private

Help with Tomtom xl with only 1GB space

There is any map Western Europ for an Tomtom XL with only 1gb (internal memory) and no slot for sd card?

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 305 Posts

Re: Help with Tomtom xl with only 1GB space

Europe_1GB_West_910_4952 is the only v910 map that will fit in your 1GB device:

TomTom Tutorials & FAQ
    TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5250
    TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5244

New user here and I can't start a new thread yet. Didn't want to thread hijack, but since this one has a pretty general title (help tomtom xl with 1gb), I thought I'd try my luck here (admins, please move to a separate topic if needed).

That said : my problem with a Tomtom XL v9 with 1gb. The internal memory is corrupt, damaged. Even a lowlevel format doesn't work anymore (sticks for hours on 2% before finally giving up).

I thought of the memory upgrade and since my soldering skills are upto par, I soldered in a 4gb sdhc card (all I had laying around here) according to this link : Adding a internal SD card to most ONE models - GSM-Forum

It works. As far as getting the 4GB recognized and I can even format it. Tomtom Home recognizes it and it even starts copying files to it before giving up at some point :

C:\Users\Administrator>dir f:
    Volume in drive F has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is BC9C-FAFF

Directory of F:\

27/05/2013 09:13 48 tthome.bif
    27/05/2013 09:14 391.736 antitheftw.bmp
    27/05/2013 09:14 51 bootloaderversion.txt
    27/05/2013 09:17 5.806.191 data.chk
    27/05/2013 09:17 11 gprscom.conf
    27/05/2013 09:17 102 gprssettings.dat
    27/05/2013 09:17 133 install.bif
    27/05/2013 09:17 44 mctx.dat
    27/05/2013 09:19 4.906.292 PNDNavigator
    27/05/2013 09:19 884.512 system
    27/05/2013 09:19 70.596 tomtom.ico
    27/05/2013 09:19 3.172.295 ttsystem
    27/05/2013 09:19 <DIR> art
    27/05/2013 09:19 <DIR> bin
    12 File(s) 15.232.011 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 3.929.726.976 bytes free
    I'm kind of a loss here. I know the SDHC card is ok, I tested it an usb reader before I soldered it in and I could read/write from/to it without problems.

I also read that it's important to have your bootloader uptodate, so I checked the file in the root (I don't know of any other way to check it) :

C:\Users\Administrator>type f:bootloaderversion.txt
    So I'm thinking that should be ok too ?

Things I am thinking of/ruling out :

- solder connection problem. Ruling that one out, since the card gets recognized without problems, I can format it and I can read/write to it before it fails at a certain point (1gb barrier?).
    - bootloader needs to be updated in the system ; could that be ? Despite the version in the .txt file, it's still at a lower version ? Any way to check ?
    - interference with the onboard 1gb ; maybe ? Is there some solder bridge I have to make somewhere or cut a trace to make sure the XL will only use the 4gb ? As far as I understood it will first check if there is any SD available and if so, ignore the internal memory completely, but I could be wrong ofc.
    - bad SD ? Not bad, maybe not compatible ? Is there any brand/size which is a surefire thing to work ?

I wish I could use the internal memory first to update the bootloader, but that's not an option since it's broken.

I do have a Tomtom subscription, so using the official app and stuff, no activation hacks or whatever are needed.

Once again, sorry for the thread hijacking, but I have no other way (save from leaving 10 useless comments which is not desirable I think) of stating my problem.

New findings (and also warrants a close on my part of this topic).

After trying with several cables and several sd cards and adapters the same symptom occured over and over :

- hook it up, TomTom home recognizes the device/memory. I start an update and it starts copying files over to the device. Then after 5-10 seconds the X on the screen of the Tomtom disappears (you know the one with the image which tells you not to disconnect the usb cable) while the USB transfer is still going on.
    - there is no activity whatsoever for about 30 seconds or more and then suddenly I see the 'do not disconnect' icon appear again on the screen of the Tomtom and I see files being transferred again.. for about 5-10 seconds.
    - this repeats a couple of times until it finally times out (I think) and Tomtom Home reports an error and gives up.

Copying with dos copy or xcopy doesn't help, exact same behaviour.

So I'm leaning to the USB connection or IO processor behind that.

What I did then was put an SD Adapter in the Tomtom. Got a 4GB microsd and a microsd-usb adapter and put the complete/program folder contents (after unpacking the .cab) onto the microsd. Put that in the Tomtom and start it up. Sure enough it booted and loaded and (of course) complained there were no maps.

THEN : I put the microsd back in the usb adapter and fired up TomTOm Home. It recognized the microsd as a TomTom XL (win! ) and I could install the maps and voices on that fast and without a hiccup. Then I put the microsd back in the Tomtom, turned it on and was greeted with the familiar Tomtom screen I knew from back when it was working

So.. all in all, I know have a Tomtom with 4GB and the use of the MicroSD usbadapter allows me to synchronize with TomTom home fast and painless. I'm only using the usb connection for charging the device now, not reliable for data transfer.