Thread: RDS-TMC with external antenna - worth it in the UK?

RDS-TMC with external antenna - worth it in the UK?

I've got a Go 710 with the widows mount and would like to try out TMC. Currently the windows mount doesn't pick up and radio stations. Im thinking I need the external antenna to get better reception (UK - north west)

Before I buy one - is it worth it, or am I wasting my time with TMC?

Worth It's Weight In Gold !

Don't know if these ramblings will help anyone but here goes :-

For the first 4 years owning a RDS/TMC receiver I lived in the North West of England and it just worked.
    I had to drive to Berkshire or Norfolk before I could find anywhere it didn't work.
    Driving coast to coast it worked 98% of the time.

After getting a car with a heated front windscreen it only worked 25% of the time when driving coast to coast.
    Even at this poor level of performance it got me out of and around so many traffic jams that I still thought my receiver was worth it's weight in gold.

A big disappointment was connecting my receiver to the car aerial as it only worked 75% of the time when driving coast to coast.

I've now got it connected to a separate car aerial clipped onto the tailgate.
    It's worked 100% of the time when driving coast to coast.

Another view :-

After moving house the only place within 5 miles of home the RDS/TMC receiver didn't work was in the car.
    After getting a car with a heated front windscreen the only place within 27 miles of home the RDS/TMC receiver didn't work was in the car.