GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to give up on my TomTom, can someone help? Please?

Shiftlock is offline Private
    Thanks

Unhappy I'm about to give up on my TomTom, can someone help? (Solved), Edit: New Problem

Edit: I finally figured this out, so help is no longer required.

------------

I'm trying to update my old TomTom GO 700. I've spent the last three hours reading threads, tutorials, downloading maps, running tools, copying files, etc. All I've accomplished is confusing myself and wasting a lot of time and bandwidth. Right now, my TomTom won't even work at all, just says "No maps found!" I know this stuff comes easy to a lot of you, and I might get flamed here since I should be able to figure this out, but I just can't. I've tried, and my head is spinning. I have a good understanding of manipulating files, archives, downloading, etc, but I just can't figure out what to do in which order using what tools. Different tutorials/threads seem to be conflicting one another, many have broken links, incomplete instructions, etc. Is there anyone here willing to walk me through this step-by-step? I know that is asking a lot, but it's really my last hope before giving up on the device entirely. It would be very, very appreciated. My device info:

TomTom GO 700 (4D00.700), Serial M5****E*****

App 7.903 (9183/081205) OS:2344
    60 MB RAM (free: 24.0 MB)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4201
    Map: 'North_America-Map' v567.0
    Language: English US

I've downloaded the following maps (wasn't exactly sure which one to use):

North_America_2GB_850_2782
    North_America_850_2782
    USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P_2GB_850_2784

I've backed up my original files and deleted the map directory on the device (among a mess of other things). Anyone want to tell me what to do next? Help? Anyone? Please?
    Last edited by Shiftlock; 16th July 2010 at 04:49.

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: I'm about to give up on my TomTom, can someone help? Please?

I see you are running the genuine 7.903 navcore, did you patch the "ttsystem" as well as the maps.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macapaca View Post
    I see you are running the genuine 7.903 navcore, did you patch the "ttsystem" as well as the maps.
    I did, and after another couple of hours, I *JUST NOW* got it to work and installed map North_America_850_2782. Some things I had to do:

Follow this video tutorial step-by-step:
    Make sure I was installing a version of the maps that works with my navcore, by checking the chart here:
    Cut the data out of the meta.txt file that came with the map I downloaded and paste it into the meta.txt file that came with EasyUseTools.

Wow! It's really very simple and only takes a minute once you know the steps, but it took me five hours to figure them out. The problem is not that the information isn't available, the problem is that there's TOO MUCH information available. Approaching it as a complete novice, I didn't know where to look first, and ended up trying to take it all in at once. That only confused me. Anyway, I'm so glad I got it working!

Now, I do have one final question - Now that I'm using a current map, is there any advantage to upgrading the navcore, or should I just stick with the genuine 7.903 version?

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
    Now, I do have one final question - Now that I'm using a current map, is there any advantage to upgrading the navcore, or should I just stick with the genuine 7.903 version?
    There are advantages: Navcores higher than 8.2** can use maps with IQRoutes and ALG and navcores higher than 8.4* have anti-aliasing which makes the mapview smoother.

I have had success with Navcore SE 8.417 and 8.562 in combination with the full map (845.2645 was the last one I had installed before I traded up to a Go 920) and even with Truck navcore 8.392 + 840.2554 Truck map.
    TTS was not an issue either once I had downloaded the VocalizerTTS files.

I have tried navcore 9.026 and 9.051 but I decided these are too heavy for the old Go700. Besides that, the 9.026 suffers from a compressed 3-part toolbar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heijx View Post
    I have had success with Navcore SE 8.417 and 8.562 in combination with the full map (845.2645 was the last one I had installed before I traded up to a Go 920) and even with Truck navcore 8.392 + 840.2554 Truck map.
    TTS was not an issue either once I had downloaded the VocalizerTTS files.
    After reading this, I decided to try 8.562, but it won't boot. I thought I was doing something wrong, so tried it on the most basic level by formatting device and uncompressing this navcore to the root directory:

I figured it would boot and give me a "No Map Found" error, but instead it just froze at the TomTom startup screen. I thought maybe my bootloader was too old (5.4201), so I updated it to 5.5138, but it still won't boot the 8.562 core. Am I missing something obvious? Is that the right navcore I downloaded there? When I wiped the device again and reinstalled everything from my backup, it booted the original 7.903 core just fine (thankfully - I was afraid I bricked it with the bootloader upgrade).

Anybody have any suggestions/advice/guidance to offer?

Edit: I tried uncompressing that SE 8.562 core to the TT again, and now it boots (for some reason) to where the map should be, but then it freezes and reboots. Is that because there's no map installed? Or is it because I don't have a "versions.txt" and "model.txt" file? I don't know what those files are supposed to contain. Some other thing I'm overlooking? Any help is greatly appreciated here. Again I've been messing with this thing for hours and hours. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shiftlock; 16th July 2010 at 06:17.

Thanks

No, this is not the right file. It is an original 8.562 with a patched ttsystem, which will work on select XL models only.
    You need the SE basic pack as well, of which there is an 8.560 version only: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/show...e-8.560.348422.
    Extract that to an empty tomtom, then extract the cab file but do not overwrite files which are already there from the basic pack. Then extract the 8.562 SE System file.

Next adjust the config files:
    Change the setconfig.txt as follows:

model:x40
    fmon
    bton
    showmoreinfo
    runcheck

# fmon is only needed if you want to use the mp3player. Otherwise set fmoff. The Go700 does not have an FM transmitter.
    # bton is only needed if you want to use the Go700 as a handsfree phone device. I set btoff since the handsfree option in my car has a much better microphone than the tomtom.
    # showmoreinfo gives you extended info on the information screen in the menu.
    # runcheck checks a few settings and writes the result in \text\config.txt. Here you can view the parameters. This option will run once and then be deleted out of this file. That is normal behaviour.

Save this file. Make sure there are no other switchfiles in the main folder or in the folder \config: There must be only one setconfig.txt and there cannot be other files called fmoff, fmon, btoff, bton. These files can be easily recognized as they are 0 kb.
    If you find a Traffic bar on the right side of the screen, go to the map folder and delete the files tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat.

Check if there is a file called version.txt in the main folder of your Tomtom. If there is, it should have the following contents:

A:7903
    B:9183

Change it if it is different. If there is no such file, create it with the above contents.
    # This tricks tomtom home into thinking that you have the latest navcore for the Go700 and won't offer to overwrite your SE 8.562 with an unpatched 7.903.

Now do a pinhole reset (ball point or paperclip) for 15 seconds to reset your Tomtom. Disconnect from USB and restart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heijx View Post
    No, this is not the right file. It is an original 8.562 with a patched ttsystem, which will work on select XL models only.
    You need the SE basic pack as well, of which there is an 8.560 version only: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/show...e-8.560.348422.
    Extract that to an empty tomtom, then extract the cab file but do not overwrite files which are already there from the basic pack. Then extract the 8.562 SE System file.
    Thanks a bunch for your help. Simple and clear advice - exactly what I needed. One problem... Only the "original Cab" download link there works. The basic pack and SE ttsystem files have been removed:

Error
    The uploader has removed this file from the server.

Is there a different link anywhere that will work? Does anyone have these files to upload? I'm sure other people would find them useful as well. There's already a re-upload request in that thread.

Thanks

There's a filestore location somewhere else:
    Code:
    http://anonym.to/?http://albertje-einstein.4shared.com
    Go to Navcore > Navcore SE v8.562. Here is the full package of basicpack 8.560 and TTsystem 8.562 in one.

Thanks

IT'S NOW WORKING PERFECT, THANKS!!!

Bootloader 5.5138, Navcore 8.562, North America Map 850.2782. I never thought I could get so much utility out of my old GO700. I almost junked it. I'm glad I found this forum instead.

Seems a little bit slower to respond, but I guess that's to be expected, and it's not too bad. Now all I have to do is get TTS working. One thing... I did notice on the version screen that "GPS: v1.21" is now "GPS: v1.20". I don't know if that happened when I changed the navcore or the bootloader. What is that, and why did it go down? Does it matter in any way?

Thanks again!

Thanks

I never let it bother me and I do not think it is firmware related but rather software related. The only thing I ever noticed on my old 700 was that the first satellite fix after having done an upgrade (or after resetting it) could take even 15 minutes, even outside. After that it would be much quicker. Unfortunately on the Sirfstar2 the Quickgpsfix does not work.
    VocalizerTTS is just a matter of downloading and copying to your tomtom. If you have not set the tts off switch in the setconfig.txt, it works right away. Just be careful not loading more than one Vocalizer voice on it at the time. Especially the UK voice Serena seems not to like to share with another voice and will play mute.
    http://gpsunderground.com/forum/show...ian-and-German)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast