GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TomTom ONE 1st Edition updates

johntee is offline Corporal
    Thanks

TomTom ONE 1st Edition updates

Hi,

I've had my TomTom ONE 1st edition since 2006 and it still serves me well. It has an SD cardslot in which I use a 2Gb memory stick . I occasionally use TomTom Home on my PC to update GPSfix and minor free updates. I'm interested in updating the old map but don't really know if that is possible because of its age, and to be honest I'm unsure how to go about it correctly. TomTom homepage seems to indicate that map version 8.50 is the latest for my device, but I'm not sure.

I have done a little bit of OV2 file editing using free utilities called "dumpov2_v1-2.exe" and "makeov2_v1-1.exe" plus "WinOV2.exe" to update speed camera data but nothing more significant. I do backup via the TomTom Home facility so I can restore if I screw things up. I've read through mega threads on the forum but they seem to be for newer models with meta, dct files and such which is somewhat confusing as a novice. My device has these details which I hope is useful in advising me.

DEVICE: AK5**-DS***
    App. 7.903 ( 9183/081205) O.S. 2344
    29Mb RAM Free 6.9Mb
    GPS v1.21 Boot5.0500
    MAP: UK_and_IE_plus_major_roads_of_WE 1409 v675.1409
    V7.903

I have downloaded map "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-v850.2820" but its content look completely different to mine and has the meta files within it so I dare not chance things.

I'd appreciate any help from the forum but please take into consideration that I am a pensioner with only two brain cells working these days, and virtually a complete NEWBIE with the workings of GPS devices.

Kind regards to all,

John

P33dro is offline General
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,867 Times in 1,239 Posts

Re: TomTom ONE 1st Edition updates

First make full backup your device with explorer not tomtom home and be sure all hidden files copied too....

after that remove your old map and copy new one in device

Then use that Fast Activate Premium Edition

1. Copy FastActivate.exe root of your device

2. patch your system with button "TTsystem/PNDnavigator"

3. activate your map with button "Maps/Voices/Speedcams"

4. Patch your TomTom HOME with button "TomTom HOME"

5. start with new map... and enjoy

(Map must be in root of device eg. "\UK and ROI" directory)
    Last edited by P33dro; 22nd July 2010 at 21:12.

Thanks

Hi P33dro,

I'm so very grateful for your speedy feedback, I had visions of using my old faithful TomTom ONE's maps for ever and a day. I will undertake your directions on Saturday ( hospital therapies tomorrow..... really tire me out.... may need a map "Highway to Heaven" for my GPS shortly), I will feed back my results ASAP.

Many thanks once again for your help,

John

Thanks

Good health to you....

Thanks

Hello again P33dro,

As promised a couple of days ago I'm now feeding back to you and the forum the results of putting the new "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-v850.2820" on my aged TomTom ONE v1.

Initially, having followed your excellent procedure to the letter, my TomTom ONE v1 on reboot returned a message saying, "No Maps Found" even though I'd used the "Fast Activate Premium Edition" software and patched accordingly.
    This threw me a little, but not being one to admit failure at the first hurdle I started over. I reformatted the SD card and re-installed all the original TomTom files, including the old map "UK_and_IE_plus_major_roads_of_WE 1409 v675.1409", to that media. I rebooted the device and that original map was detected.

I proceeded next by putting the new "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-v850.2820" which I obtained via links on this website. I used the "Fast Activate Premium Edition" software again in the root directory to patch files again. I rebooted again and both OLD & NEW maps were detected by the TomTOM this time and both were accessible. I established that the latest "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-v850.2820" map was indeed being used........ it was......Wow, sigh of relief at this end.

I backed up the device via WinRAR at that point and created an Auto executable copy for easy re-install should I screw things up.

Happy with having a working back-up I boldly installed all my "PocketGPS speed camera data" to the new map folder and those worked perfectly too.

Still somewhat apprehensive at that point, I forbid the "TomTome Home software" on my PC from automatically checking for updates when attaching my TomTom device. However, it still reports in the upper corner of that software, within a box with a red DOT therein, that "Your maps are out of date, MapShare disabled, 1900 free mapcorrections ignored". I think that applies to updating adjustments which TomTom owners could send to the company. Not really sure on that point, are you?

I realise you are a very busy person and I do not wish to impose on your precious time, but does everything I've explained sound right to you, afteral you are the expert on GPS, whereas I can only guess. Also do I need to do anything else now other than making a new WinRAR back-up and saving that to CD for safety?

I'm most appreciative of the help you've given me and likewise the kind good health wishes you extended.

Most sincerely,

John
    Last edited by johntee; 24th July 2010 at 15:45.

Thanks

Hello yuriyggg,

Thanks for your reply and help.

Re: "You can easily update the map at Home"

No doubt you will appreciate from my posts I'm a virtual novice on GPS and devices. Do you mean using "TomTom Home" software for updates or something different. The only thing I've ever used TomTom Home for was for minor free updates and the GPSfixes which make accessing satellites easier. Is the disabling of "Your maps are out of date, MapShare disabled, 1900 free mapcorrections ignored" of significance or just some kind of auto-responder message?

Thanks once again for your help,

Kind regards,

John,

PS Will selecting the little black star on this box add thanks to your rating?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johntee View Post
    Hello yuriyggg,

Thanks for your reply and help.

Re: "You can easily update the map at Home"

No doubt you will appreciate from my posts I'm a virtual novice on GPS and devices. Do you mean using "TomTom Home" software for updates or something different. The only thing I've ever used TomTom Home for was for minor free updates and the GPSfixes which make accessing satellites easier. Is the disabling of "Your maps are out of date, MapShare disabled, 1900 free mapcorrections ignored" of significance or just some kind of auto-responder message?

Thanks once again for your help,

Kind regards,

John,

PS Will selecting the little black star on this box add thanks to your rating?
    You can remove your old map from device now (maybe there is not so much updates then ;-) ), and make map updates with tomtom home...

keep your original backup safe place and make this new backup too

if tomtom home update navcore newes version too, just patch it again with fastactivate
    Last edited by P33dro; 24th July 2010 at 16:31.

Thanks

Hello again P33dro,
    g
    You and the guys here are fabulous, nothing seems too much trouble.

I will now delete the old map as you suggest and back-up accordingly, when you say, "make map updates with TomTome Home" does this mean by their map update subscription scheme. I think they charge about £20 per year, am I on the right track?

Promise, I'll leave you in peace after this............. others need help besides me.

Thank you once again,

John

Thanks

Hello again P33dro,
    g
    You and the guys here are fabulous, nothing seems too much trouble.

I will now delete the old map as you suggest and back-up accordingly, when you say, "make map updates with TomTome Home" does this mean by their map update subscription scheme. I think they charge about £20 per year, am I on the right track?

Promise, I'll leave you in peace after this............. others need help besides me.

Thank you once again,

John
    Do just like you say..

tomtom home "users map updates is free" enjoy..... :-)

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 305 Posts

johntee,

I have the exact same device as you and I used to run the same 7.903 navcore (App.)
    I found that I couldn't receive map updates using MapShare via TomTom Home, because MapShare isn't supported for this navcore. I solved the problem with one of the latest navcores: SE 9.101.
    Another navcore that is highly recommended for our devices is the 8.562. Both of these have all the functions you need, including MapShare updates.
    Last edited by lemonfish; 25th July 2010 at 16:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast