GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: TT One XL No Internal memory

fffil is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

TT One XL No Internal memory

I've recently bought a 'spares or repair' TomTom One XL (4S00.006) off eBay and managed to get it working on the SD card (upgraded the bootloader to 5.5136) and running navcore 8.562. The issue I have is that when the SD card is not in the unit, it won't boot but is recognised by my PC. The 'properties' for the drive show it as having 0kb available of 0kb total memory - ie there is no internal memory.

Is this fixable at all or are there any tricks to seeing the memory? I've tried a format but there is 'nothing to format' and I've also tried viewing it though 'manage - disk management' in 'my computer' - it shows as having no memory.

Any ideas from anyone please?
    Last edited by fffil; 31st March 2011 at 21:38. Reason: spelling and grammar

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 305 Posts

Re: TT One XL No Internal memory

Quote Originally Posted by fffil View Post
    I've recently bought a 'spares or repair' TomTom One XL (4S00.006) off eBay and managed to get it working on the SD card (upgraded the bootloader to 5.5136) and running navcore 8.562. The issue I have is that when the SD card is not in the unit, it won't boot but is recognised by my PC. The 'properties' for the drive show it as having 0kb available of 0kb total memory - ie there is no internal memory.

Is this fixable at all or are there any tricks to seeing the memory? I've tried a format but there is 'nothing to format' and I've also tried viewing it though 'manage - disk management' in 'my computer' - it shows as having no memory.

Any ideas from anyone please?
    A TomTom ONE XL does NOT have an internal memory. It needs an SD card to work. The good thing is you can use any of the larger SDHC cards to fit the bigger maps, so I see it as advantage to have a TomTom model with a card slot.

As you can see from my signature, I have a TomTom ONE which does not have an internal memory, so it is almost exactly like yours, except mine has the smaller 3.5 inch screen. (The ONE XL has a 4.3 inch screen).

I also have a GO730 which has both internal memory and an SD card slot. Most of the GO models have both internal memory and an SD slot.

So... it seems like there is nothing wrong with your device afterall...
    TomTom Tutorials & FAQ
    TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5250
    TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5244

Thanks

Sorry lemonfish, not quite the case as I understand it. I have 2 TomTom One XL units - one has the code 4S00.000 and has 1GB internal memory and SD card slot, the other one (the one I'm having issues with) is coded 4S00.006 and has an SD card slot. Both are 4.3" screens. My parents have a TomTom One XL which also has 1GB internal memory though I don't know the code for that one off hand.

if you are saying the One XL does not have internal memory and I think it should have, at what point did they stop including internal memory?

Thanks

No need to worry - I don't think we are arguing, just stating fact as we know it. Thanks for the table - that's the first time I've seen that and it will be useful to me. Clearly I have two working devices according to the table. I just need a new battery for the .006 device (one on order) and I should be good to go.

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 305 Posts

Very useful table. Thanks yuriyggg!

Quote Originally Posted by fffil View Post
    if you are saying the One XL does not have internal memory and I think it should have, at what point did they stop including internal memory?
    Actually, from what I've seen lately, it's more the other way round. Most or all devices now have internal memory and a lot of them do not have SD or micro SD cards.

For eg. my ONE model was made about 5 years ago without internal memory, just an SD card slot. Up to that stage, none of the TomTom devices had internal memory (with the exception of the GO700 which actually had a hard drive, not a flash drive).

Then came along more of the GO models, this time with internal flash memory PLUS an SD card slot, such as the GO520/720/920, the GO530/730/930, and I believe the model you have must have been out at around the same time. So you have one of the most versatile ONE XL models with both internal memory and an SD card slot.

Then from 2009 onwards, most of the TomToms such as ONE 140, XL340, XL IQ routes and all the XXL models came ONLY with internal memory - no card slot! At least they continued having both internal memory and the new micro SD card slot with the GO LIVE models: GO550/750/950 LIVE.

But unfortunately, from 2010 till today, TomTom no longer have any card slot in most new models, such as the GO1000/1005 LIVE and all the VIA models.
    Last edited by lemonfish; 2nd April 2011 at 00:49.
    TomTom Tutorials & FAQ
    TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5250
    TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5244

LinkBacks (?)

1. 24th May 2011, 16:31