GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Tom Tom 910 Help !

Thanks

Tom Tom 910 Help !

Hi, I ve the following problem and will be very grateful to each idea or a clue provided. My go 910 started to give red cross blinking when turned on. This happened maybe several months ago, however I turn now back to the issue, as I have some spare time. So when I connect it to the PC it wants formatting. I cannot do a format ether in FAT32 (as adviced in other threads) or in other format. Tried to format it also under DOS, with special HDD format tools – the same result – after 2 hours of formatting at the end emerges – “the device could not be formatted” or similar. So I opened the GPS device and connected the 20gb HD directly with my pc using a ZIF connector. The HD is fine – my pc recognizes it, I can format it and etc. I put the same software it used to go under before – rather old, but however the same. When I turn the device on – the same thing. After 2 seconds, the HD makes a “click” noise maybe twice, and the red cross emerges again. Exactly at the point where usually a small HD picture emerges and the info has to be loaded from it, it gives this sound and the cross shows up. If I connect it to the PC it wants formatting again and formatting is impossible. I tried to put more recent software – 9026 for instance, without maps – nothing helps.
    Anyone any idea?

sparks9898 is offline Master Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Tom Tom 910 Help !

you need to test the drive using H2testw -- by Harald Bögeholz use google, what it does it writes to the drive until its full then reads back what its written, use it to test for fake pen drives and sd etc cards bought from fleabay, if it passes then its probably your ribbon connector, i got one from a scrap 910, you could always mod yours to run from a cf card and adaptor board, the tutorial is somewhere out there if i can find it i will post it, you just need a fast cf card eg 133x, this does work but big cf cards are expensive but at least they dont fail if you give them a knock.

Thanks

Hi, thx for your comment. The HD is fine. Do you know where I can find a ribbon cable for the HD for tomtom go 910 ? I actually found on the US ebay but unfortunately they do not want to ship to Berlin, where I live

sparks9898 is offline Master Sergeant
    Thanks

i had the same problem, i could not find one in uk, bought a faulty one from fleabay and now have spare screen etc, i would like to find somewhere in europe which ships to uk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparks9898 View Post
    i had the same problem, i could not find one in uk, bought a faulty one from fleabay and now have spare screen etc, i would like to find somewhere in europe which ships to uk.
    I ve found some in germany on ebay, a guy has dismantled his device and was selling it into parts. Here is a link to the US seller. Maybe you will convince them to ship overseas or find someone you know in US to ship it for you. NEW TomTom Tom GO 910 GPS 20GB parts Hard Drive CABLE | eBay