GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Tomtom 720 freeze when trying to format

gartner is offline Private
    Thanks

Tomtom 720 freeze when trying to format

Hi

I got a big problem.
    I can turn it ot, and I hear windows is initialize. And windows is writing the station letter.
    But When trying to format to fat32 it freeze, and I can do nothing. I need to push the reset button to wake it up agin, But I have not got it to format it self. I think the format now is RAW. After cmd -> format /L -> RAW
    I tryd to fire up killdisk to try to zero all cells, but it hangs and stops there to. What to do??
    I have also tried downloading tomtom clear flash, But it never work, cause it dosn't find the tomtom...

So.. I can initialize it, but trying to get it to fat32, it's no possebly cause it hangs/freeze..

Any good solution?

PS: I can get the tomtom to work when I put the navcore + map on a SDcard... So I can use it... But I whant my flash back..

Any help s much appreciate

Regards

Gartner

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 305 Posts

Re: Tomtom 720 freeze when trying to format

Format it to FAT not FAT32. FAT is used for any devices up to 2Gb. The GO 720 has an internal memory of 2Gb.
    A quick format is fine. If you can't do this is Windows Explorer, then go to Computer Management - Disk Management and re-create the partition then format.
    TomTom Tutorials & FAQ
    TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5250
    TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5244

Thanks

Thanx. FAT..

But I cant format to none format.When I connect the usb plug, windows says I have to format. When I click yes, it freeze. after 2 min the format wizard comes up and write "unknown capacity"

When trying to go into Disk Management--> I can see the device.. but it says I/O error... not good i guess

Q: The SD card is format as FAT32. It's a 4GB SDHD card. correct ?
    Last edited by gartner; 28th April 2011 at 15:52.

lemonfish is offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gartner View Post
    Thanx. FAT..

But I cant format to none format.When I connect the usb plug, windows says I have to format. When I click yes, it freeze. after 2 min the format wizard comes up and write "unknown capacity"

When trying to go into Disk Management--> I can see the device.. but it says I/O error... not good i guess

Q: The SD card is format as FAT32. It's a 4GB SDHD card. correct ?
    That's correct, FAT32 for the 4GB SDHC card.

Sounds like your internal drive may be physically damaged, as biggerdave mentioned. You can keep trying different ways to format it, since you have nothing to lose, but personally I would just use the SDHC card. It's easier to update the card anyway, for eg. by inserting it to a laptop.
    TomTom Tutorials & FAQ
    TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5250
    TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 910.4892, Bootloader: 5.5244

Thanks

Yes I guess it's damanged.. It works fine with the SD card so ...

Thanx for the answers...

Thanks

thanx.. But I did not understand #3

Silverhawk is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

When you format, under File System can you select exFAT? If yes then select exFat and do a Quick Format. Sometimes this "wakes up" the internal memory and you can do a low-level FAT format. If this doesn't work then you probably have bad internal memory, which is a common problem with the 720's. At least you have the SD card slot to fall back on.