GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Tom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Pros and Cons

shah0308 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Tom Tom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Pros and Cons

Hi,
    Can someone tell the pros and cons of TomTom USB RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver which comes with the car charger. I mean, I know tomtom live service is not free and would be better than the free RDS Traffic service.

Just wanna know, is it worth buying Tomtom with RDS TMC traffic receiver?

Thanks in advance guys

willy647 is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Tom Tom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Pros and Cons

I have a XXL and use the tomtom TMC receiver - the new one, without the extra antenna.
    Connects within seconds (in Belgium) and works just fine for traffic jams, road works, temporarily limited speeds etc ....
    The information may vary depending on the country you're in.

Of course Live Services is more accurate, especially on secundary roads, but you have to buy a more expensive 'live' version and pay an annual fee.

I think it all depends on how much you are on the road.
    Also, not every country has live services !

Hamish is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

shah0308, you don't give a location, so check the TomTom.com website. I've found it not to be much use in the UK, but much better in France, Germany, Austria, Benelux (post #2), can't remember how it performed in Italy and Spain.

Willy647's comments re Live Services are very valid; you get what you pay for and I'm happy with free RDS-TMC, and traffic programme option on the car radio for the UK.

surfjunkey is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

I am in the UK & use the RDS receiver, I am afraid it is a bit hit & miss(depending on your location & where you are travelling to/from etc). When it does work it seems to work quite well.. It is cheaper than buying the live subscription & bargain RDS receivers can be had off ebay. I have not used Live services for traffic so am unable to compare it.
    Both my g0 720 & 920 seem to work with with the RDS system. I did get a newer version of the antenna of ebay because my 1st receiver just stopped working(TT would not recognise it) my spare one never found a signal...(just kept trying to search for one.) My latest one of ebay works a treat, instantly finds a signal & relays traffic info en-route etc.
    I am happy with the RDS service, so no need to go to live service for me yet. My job involves travelling all over the UK & I use it all the time I also use the external ariel with it(Non official TT one, but a quarter of the price & works the same!).

Pro's - seems to work well for the price

Con's - All the extra wires around your car
    Last edited by surfjunkey; 30th April 2011 at 12:27. Reason: spelling/grammar! Doh!!
    There Are No Problems - Only Solutions

If you appreciate my work - use the thanks button - a little thanks go's a long way.....!

willy647 is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

[QUOTE=

Con's - All the extra wires around your car[/QUOTE]

Not if you use the tomtom cable.
    Just one single cable from the 12v outlet to your TT, that's it.
    I must admit, it is more expensive than some others, but I think it's well worth it - it's clean and works super.

soltisolti is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Hi surfjunke,

Can you give details of the antenna you got of eBay, looking for one for my 720

Thanks solti

gema is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi there,

I have this GO740 Live USA... I use it here in Brazil (No Live Service available)... will these RDS-TMC receiver integrated with the Car Charger work for me?

treoluv is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soltisolti View Post
    Hi surfjunke,

Can you give details of the antenna you got of eBay, looking for one for my 720

Thanks solti
    Hi Sol, I answered this question at your original post with picture included The RDS/TMC-USB Car Charger they disscuss here is NOT compatible with GO x20 at all.
    Last edited by treoluv; 6th May 2011 at 19:14.
    GO 920T Navcore SE_9.026, 920T x 2 Navcore Downunder 9.430, 720T Navcore OEM 9.431, iphone4S tomtom 1.10, WM 6.5 tomtom 7.916.9189_VGA_HTC, Garmin 205W

soltisolti is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Post Re: Tom Tom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Pros and Cons

I am going to try one of the usb type and see what happens as the connector on the bottom of my Go730 has fallen apart, tomtom says it compatable with the 720.

RDS TMC Traffic Receiver - Traffic receivers and Antennas - Accessories - TomTom

solti

treoluv is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Sol, I thought they are talking about this USB LT Traffic Receiver - Accessories - TomTom
    GO 920T Navcore SE_9.026, 920T x 2 Navcore Downunder 9.430, 720T Navcore OEM 9.431, iphone4S tomtom 1.10, WM 6.5 tomtom 7.916.9189_VGA_HTC, Garmin 205W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast