GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: tomtom v3 will not charge

mikie is offline Corporal
    Thanks

tomtom v3 will not charge

hi all just got hold of a tt v3 sd slot,that will not charge,ive try 3 diffrent usb leads,and put my spear battery on it but will not charge,it turn on and i can connect to tt home, any advice pls,,,thanks

Thanks

Re: tomtom v3 will not charge

hi biggerdave thanks for quick reply,it turn on went i put my spear battery on,do u no how much to fix?...thanks

Thanks

ok thanks,,,, e of bay me think..

sparks9898 is offline Master Sergeant
    Thanks

The usb connector is faulty,the connector breaks away from the board because of poor soldering, the battery could also be shorted/faulty because if you use your spare it works, wrong cables cause problems because the usb is a 5 pin type socket so a lot of usb cables wont work and most usb hubs cannot supply enough current to fully charge the battery, the charge circuit also has a chip which can go faulty but its very rare (its not the famous green light no go fault those chips are different)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sparks9898 View Post
    The usb connector is faulty,the connector breaks away from the board because of poor soldering, the battery could also be shorted/faulty because if you use your spare it works, wrong cables cause problems because the usb is a 5 pin type socket so a lot of usb cables wont work and most usb hubs cannot supply enough current to fully charge the battery, the charge circuit also has a chip which can go faulty but its very rare (its not the famous green light no go fault those chips are different)

thanks 4 reply sparks,i try 3 pc usb cables,1 mains charger,but the same cables charges my other v3,[strange] the battery chargers in other tt and works fines ,so could be usb or cable,[ive not try car cable yet,wot came with tt.] would like to get to the bottom of this one,,keep me of the streets of london,,lol
    Last edited by mikie; 13th May 2011 at 08:58.

TTuser is offline Private
    Thanks

If it switches on then it has not blown any ic's, i agree with sparks9898 that the usb connector is faulty, the faulty pins you will have will be either the far right or far left of the 5 pin connector (or both?) as these are the positive and negative for the 5 volt in. The reason you are still able to connect to the computer is that the 3 pins in the middle are still ok, these are the usb data pins.

Thanks

thanks 4 reply,is there any thing i can do to the usb to fix it, i dont want to send any money on it ,[there a guy on ebay want £20 to fix usb]......

TTuser is offline Private
    Thanks

Usually the pins just detach from the board, if you have a fine tipped soldering iron and a steady hand then it is a pretty straight forward job of re-soldering the faulty pins back to the board. If not, then there are people who will do it for a price.

PietPienter is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi,
    I have a TT Go 910 - the battery was not charging - so I replaced this by a new battery
    The unit still not charge - I tried on the car craddle and on the usb craddle - the green light comes on - but the battery is not charging

All suggestions are very welcome
    Thanks