Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Buying a new device? Which to choose

Dues is offline Private
    Thanks

Re: best current TOMTom To buy ?

Well if it was me,

I would say dont bother with any of the above and go get a 910 had mines for 4 years now and it just keeps going no matter what i throw at it, it currently emulates a 950 with UK & ROI, Europe 2gb and Iberia [845][ Navcore 9.026]

Thats my opinion there cheap very easy to fix and if you get bored using it as a sat nav you can always watch movies on it with the 20gb HD.

Dues

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

630 has Bluetooth, but misses FM transmitter. Not something you would use every day.

In my opinion, the x20 and x30 are the best if you do not care for Live Services/HD traffic (paid subscription) since it is easy to connect a TMC transmitter to them (USB or jack, but then part number 0013 only).

Differences between x20 and x30 are cosmetic only (although on the 730 the 2GB flash memory seems to be improved on). All have an SDHC card slot and will accept cards of at least 16 GB. Current navcore is 8.351 which does support ALG, IQroutes and all.
    They are also the device of choice for running truck navcore 8.395 since the Go 7000 truck is essentially a 720 with GPRS modem. Having said that, the Go 9000 is a 940, so x40 devices will run truck navcore too.

Differences between 5xx, 7xx and 9xx:
    520/530 have 1 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth and come with regional maps from the region they were bought in.
    720/730 have 2 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth and come with continental maps of the continent they were bought in.
    920/930 have 4 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth, remote control and EPT and come with maps of Europe and US/Canada resp AUS and US/Canada.

EPT: Enhanced positionin technology. It uses an accelerometer and gyroscope to measure speed and direction continuously in order to keep navigating in tunnels, between highrise buildings when you lose track of GPS satellites.

After having collected all the above info over the last months, I have searched for and found my new Tomtom, a Go 920T with TMC receiver. This weekend I will start playing with a class 10 SDHC card on which I will try navcore 9.051 and 9.101.

jollyware is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

I have upgraded from the XL One to the GO 950 and can say that it works fast and the bluetooth works a treat with my iPhone.

And even works well with the Truck maps.

tester3000 is offline Private
    Thanks

I would highly recommend the XXL 530S. The 5" screen is awesome and the speed is great (2GB storage, 64MB ram).

Thanks

Just bought a GO920 on ebay... waiting for delivery, Seems to have a lot of resources. I hope it works out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tester3000 View Post
    I would highly recommend the XXL 530S. The 5" screen is awesome and the speed is great (2GB storage, 64MB ram).
    Although it is a nice Tomtom, the 5 inch screen has no higher resolution than the 4,3 inch on Go models and you will never fit more than 2 GB on an XXL whereas a Go accepts SDHC cards of 16GB or even more. Also the XXL has 266 MHz CPU frequency, a Go has 400 MHz.

rhino2277 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
    I have been using a hacked navcore on my 720 for a while now. Does anyone know, if you get a stock 720 and use a stock NavCore, do you get ALG and IQRoutes? Or do you still have to use a hacked navcore?
    And if you are using a hacked navcore, can you still grab the ALG/IQ maps from the mapupdate program?
    I have a stock 720 with stock navcore (8.35) and I get ALG and IQ routes on the later maps as it is map specific.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dues View Post
    Well if it was me,

I would say dont bother with any of the above and go get a 910 had mines for 4 years now and it just keeps going no matter what i throw at it, it currently emulates a 950 with UK & ROI, Europe 2gb and Iberia [845][ Navcore 9.026]

Thats my opinion there cheap very easy to fix and if you get bored using it as a sat nav you can always watch movies on it with the 20gb HD.

Dues
    I had a 910 for a short while. Left it in my car overnight last winter, and it wouldn't run until it warmed up. Turns out that's one notorious problem with the 910 and it's mechanical Hard Drive. Doesn't like the cold. Might be nice if you could find a 1.8" SSD. I also wasn't impressed with the mounting system for the 910. But that is just my preference. The frozen HD was a serious issue to me, tho.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
    Might be nice if you could find a 1.8" SSD.
    1,8 inch SSD's do exist but they are quite expensive and all of the SATA type afaik.
    There is hower a different solution: A ZIF to CompactFlash adapterwith a 16 or 32GB CF card.

Here's one:
    Code:
    http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adzifcf.asp

terrytpot is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

You all seem to be forgetting one important aspect...cost! It's nigh on impossible to beat either a 520 or a 530 for bang for buck. With the exception of the EPT from the 9xx models it will do everything for less $$$ and with cl6 memory cards to be had for a song its definitely the way to go in my opinion..(as my 720 finally died last week I just went to tomtom and bought a refurb 530 for £112, added my old 16gb sd card and the 845truck map and I'm back upto speed for a lot less than the £350-£450 I've seen Go7000's advertised at!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast