Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Buying a new device? Which to choose

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: best current TOMTom To buy ?

Absolutly agree with terrytpot, the 530 has all the hardware so all you have to do is put in 9xxx software and you have the top of the range all singing all dancing for a lot less.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

tsinuski is offline Corporal
    Thanks

I'm using a Go630 for the last 16 months. Works like a charm. Ran all the (selected) maps that I wanted.
    Has all the specs you mentioned.
    Go for it.

Poosnip is offline Private
    Thanks

Jarkita,

I am new to the site and pleased that there is a hope for me. Thanks in advance for any posts/help/ suggestions.

I have a Tomtom 1 just like the one in your avatar.

I have done a very bad thing.........I have formated my SD (1GB) card by mistake and it was not backed up as far as I can tell on the Tomtom Home (Oh god why??) . I have been messing with this tomtom for the last week. I tried to update it 2 weeks ago, as it had not been updated in a couple of years and it was rather slow. All seemed ok, but then the Tom tom just got stuck redirecting me to my last entry. :-( After a week of messing I put in the Sd card into my laptop slot to see what was on it and........ mistakenly formattd. It doesnt even recognise the card now. the graphic has a big cross on the sd card icon animation! I now have a Tom TOM machine without a soul. tis BrainDead.

I really screwed up here. I have been on the Tomtom Website and it seems I either have to purchase new maps £39 or get a new tom tom!

Is there any way I can reinstall a tom tom on the cheap or free? What can be done?

Can I download torrents? the machine I have is like the one in your avatar picture. Can Bring it back from the dead by downloading software or do I have to go and buy a new one? I could buy a new one but I quite like the idea of reinstalling or DIY on the operating system and maps and voices! Any hep would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Poosnip; 4th July 2010 at 14:10.

lemon2007lemon is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Could anyone please tell me what was done to the internal memory on the 730, I have a 720 and after reading about the memory going bad im a little worried,

Oh also, I have a 520, Its onyl got 512MB internal.

(Ref, 520/530 have 1 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth and come with regional maps from the region they were bought in)

Cheers!
    Last edited by lemon2007lemon; 4th July 2010 at 16:48.

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poosnip View Post
    Jarkita,

I have formated my SD (1GB) card by mistake
    If you haven't done anything else after formatting, try to unformat it with specialized recovery tools. The Hiren bootcd has a few tools.
    Code:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    If recovery is not an option any more, you have to rebuild from scratch.

1. Reformat as FAT (Not FAT32 but the 16 bit variety which is just called FAT)
    2. Connect to Tomtom Home and let it offer you the "Tomtom Application". When complete, disconnect, reconnect and repeat until you have the latest version (7.903 for One v2, 8.010 for One v3)
    3. Patch this navcore with one of the tools from the tools subforum.
    4. Download a 850.2820 map or a 845.2666 map (Western Europe 845.2666 is under 1 GB).
    5. Patch that map for your device ID.

All this can be read about in the Tutorials and Tools&Tweaks subfora.

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemon2007lemon View Post
    Hi guys,

Could anyone please tell me what was done to the internal memory on the 730, I have a 720 and after reading about the memory going bad im a little worried,
    Apparently the memory chips used in 2007 were not all very durable, because there are known cases of Go 720's with unusable internal memory, more than the norm.
    Make sure you have a full copy of the contents of the memory and if it does go, use the SD slot with a Class 6 SDHC card instead. Just copy your backup to that card and you're done.
    Oh also, I have a 520, Its onyl got 512MB internal.
    I stand corrected. Cheapskates at Tomtom.

lemon2007lemon is offline Corporal
    Thanks

"Cheapskates at Tomtom"

Arnt they just!

Thanks for your advice, Back up made.

I have checked the sectors on my 720 internal, all seems ok for now, fingers crossed, lol.

Thanks

Anyone have opinions of the garmins? Looking to upgrade, so a 530 or garmin, anyone have both?

Silverhawk is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Completely agree about the XXL 530S. Recently replaced my wife's TT ONE with the 530S. She loves it. They're cheap too. Definitely the way to go if you don't need an SD slot.

rhino2277 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

I use a Go720 with a stock navcore and map. I have ALG and IQ routes and use voice address inputs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgpaulus View Post
    I have been using a hacked navcore on my 720 for a while now. Does anyone know, if you get a stock 720 and use a stock NavCore, do you get ALG and IQRoutes? Or do you still have to use a hacked navcore?
    And if you are using a hacked navcore, can you still grab the ALG/IQ maps from the mapupdate program?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast