GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tomtom Wince 5.0 Freezes up

ronturner is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Tomtom Wince 5.0 Freezes up

Hi everyone I'm new to your forum as a poster but I have been lurking for awhiile. Just to say I'm over awed by the level of knowledge and infomation to be found here. I hope that I will be able to contribute in the future when I know a bit more.

I have been studyiing the tutorials to try to u[date my Tomtom which is running on a double diin chiinese head unit. When I bought the unit it came with 2 x 2GB SD cards - one with IGo and the other with Tomtom (version 6). I can't get on with iGo and I really like Tomtom however its an old version and obviously I'm after the latest maps. Specifically Uk and Iberia although Western Europe would be fine as clearly that would do both ( as long as it still all fits on a 2GB card - as apparently that is the maximum size that the Chinese Head unit will accept)

After carefully studying the tutorials and downloading Easy Tools and purchasing two more 2GB SD cards I was already to start.

I downloaded Navcore 7.910 and the Uk map and Iberia maps version 850.2820. Putting one map on each of the new ScanDiisk SD cards.

I placed the Navcore on the card (individual files and folders) and then added the map as a folder. I put the SD card in the car head unit to create a .bif file. Using Notepad I extracted the ID and also entered the meta and then ran the DCT programme. All went well!!!!!.

Putting the card in the head unit and after a bit of fiddling with languages and baud rates I was up and running.

Time for a test drive.

Well after 100 yards the Tomtom locked up and became about as much good as a chocolate teapot. Turning it off and then back on got it working again but only for another 100 yds.

I would be really gratefull for any help/feedback - Am I using te wrong Navcore/maps? Can I tweak them? Do I need to alter settings on the head unit? (no idea how you do that!)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jarkita; 6th June 2010 at 16:13. Reason: post moved

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ronturner For This Useful Post:

ronturner is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Tomtom Wince 5.0 Freezes up

Just to add to my original post.

The Head unit runs device version HW Wince CE 5.0. Device name is MESADA_2440.

I see from other post that 'freezing' is a problem. If some one has had success could they please post which Navcore they used with which maps.

PS the display (6.5") is the high resolution type.

Thanks for any replies

ukeyes is offline Corporal
    Thanks

I have exactly the same problem... Only really able to use TomTom 6 on this sort of device... I am now looking at alternatives as no one seems to have an aswer...

NRT
    NRT is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Seems to be a common problem, my mate has one and has given up with Tomtom!
    Last edited by NRT; 19th June 2010 at 00:23.

popper114 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

If you are able to get into the windows control panel, you need to disable all the power saving options. You could try Mio unlock, as that has worked for me in the past, when tomtom freezes in wince 5.0

Pepin is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Did that help? I have a similar system, Chinese running WinCE 5.0 which came with PolNav. I want to change to TomTom but need to know how to install on the SD card. I know that the system does not allow me to go into the Windows Control Panel, or at least I do not know how? Any suggestions how to get into the WinCE 5.0 Windows Control Panel? By the way, my system is the Eonon E1025.

popper114 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

The unfortunate thing is all the devices respond to different things. What works on one device doesnt work on another. If it gets a signal, then freezes up while driving (i mean like every few seconds) it is worth further exploring the power saving thing. You need to disable all power saving options. Try changing(take note of the current settings first...or back it up) the shell.ini in the root of the SD card to \SDMMC\explorer.exe. restart your device and click the navigate icon. This should give you access to windows explorer, desktop and control panel. Note that the start menu will most likely be hidden. Once in the control panel change turn off all the power saving settings....run tomtom and see if you can get a signal and navigate without locking up. If it works, search elsewhere in these forums for a more automated method (registry changes on start up) to disable the power saving options.

pballernyc is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

how do you disable all the power saving options in Mio unlock? I know that disabling the power saving functions prevents the freezing with tom tom and my win ce 5.0 pna, but I have to do it each time I turn my car on and off. Is there a more permanent way to disable the power saving options, and if so, how??

Thank you

ropac is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pballernyc View Post
    how do you disable all the power saving options in Mio unlock? I know that disabling the power saving functions prevents the freezing with tom tom and my win ce 5.0 pna, but I have to do it each time I turn my car on and off. Is there a more permanent way to disable the power saving options, and if so, how??

Thank you
    This works for me on my Chinese WinCE5.0 unit.
    Run TomTom from mortscript. You may have to edit the path to your nav.exe
    Put the following into the mortscript mscr:

Errorlevel ("off")

RegWriteDword ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\User Idle","Default",0)
    RegDeleteKey ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ActivityTi mers", True, True)
    RegDeleteKey ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\Syst emIdle", True, True)
    RegDeleteKey ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\State\User Idle", True, True)
    RegDeleteKey ("HKLM", "System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\Timeou ts", True, True)

sleep 100

RunWait ("\StorageCard\TomTom Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe")

Exit
    rusigor likes this.

ropac is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

There should not be any spaces between "User Idle" etc.

They should read "UserIdle" "ActivityTimers" "SystemIdle" "Timeouts"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)