Thread: TT Navigator 7 on HP ipaq: No GPS device found

swiss is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Question TT Navigator 7 on HP ipaq: No GPS device found

Hi everybody,
    I have:
    - an HP ipaq (model hw6915) with
    - Windows Mobile WM 5.
    According to the ipaq user manual, the device has this GPS receiver installed:
    - GL20000 from Global Locate. In case a manual setting is required for a software, the ipaq manual mentions to set it to COM 7 and a BAUD rate of 57600.

Here is my problem:

I had installed Navigator 6 and it worked fine – but with outdated maps as the new maps require Navigator 7. So after some years of using the old Navigator 6 I installed now the TomTom Navigator 7.917.9186 plus the recent Europe 2GB maps.

The new Navigator 7software starts fine and accepts the new map, but it does not recognize the internal GPS antenna. I receive the message “no GPS devide”. Then I tried a bit and switched (in TomTom Navigator settings) from the “internal” to “other NMEA GPS receiver” and tried different Baud rates. With this setting the Navigator does receive GPS signal – once in a while (1 signal about every minute – just enough to locate the current position but not enough to really navigate).

So obviously the Navigator 7.x does not get correct GPS signals from the built-in antenna (while the older Navigator 6 always did).

Any idea how to solve that problem?

ChillyCat is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: TT Navigator 7 on HP ipaq: No GPS device found

Since you had it working......before the updated maps,
    I'd try your "older" map just to make sure it's either a
    Hardware or software issue

Also, might not hurt to run Franson's GPSgate

Thanks

Waw what a cool Avatar ... ! reminds me of my youth whatching the Catweazle ....

Thanks for reply. Well the "older" maps do not work with Navigator 7. They are for Navigator 6. My ipaq GPS works fine again if I re-install it along with the old maps (which are 2007). So the hardware itself works.

I recently tried "GPS proxy" which should copy the GPS signals fromn the internal GPS antenna (COM 7) to another COM port but so far no luck with the tried settings.

Fransons GPS gate: Have not heard about that before, will search for it and give it a try, thanks for the hint!

Thanks

Same Problem like me.

I have TT 7.917.9186 and 918.9193 tried with same Map. But I also get no GPS location.
    I get GPS signals but the signal are not strong enough it seems.
    I have a Samsung Omnia 2 device where I use it.

I also tried GPSgate and it says: GPS data but no position.

I realy tried a lot allready but I do not know what I can do more.

Anyone an idea?

LFGringo is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi guys, i have the same problem, my device is unit is one Acer E300, running wince 5, it comes with destinator 6, and work fine, i installed the TomTom 6, work fine too...
    But both programs, are too old, and the maps are very old too...
    So, i installed the Navigator 7,9 with the 855.xxxx map on SD Card, and works fine, but don´t find the internal GPS antenna, always displays the message, Without GPS receiver... (The configuration i use is: other nmea, 4800 on com1, the usual) I tried many ways to solve this, and i found one! I start the TomTom, Navigate to, choose de destinate, then go to desktop, start navigator,minimize, and go back to TomTom, voila, he gets the GPS signal, but only works a few minutes, because destinator, steals the signal for hem...
    The problem seems to be configuration of TomTom GPSxxx.dll, because when TomTom starts, can´t connect the GPS antenna, and thinks the unit don´t have GPS receiver.
    The destinator 6, TomTom 6 runs the aplication in one partition "MyflashDisk" and load the Maps from the SD card, The TomTom 7,91 works all from the SD, the problem comes from here... Need configuration to activate the antenna from the SD... And don´t know how to do that... need expert help please...

Someone can help?

Best Regards

Thanks

I had the exact same problem, but never worked it out

LFGringo is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi Flamin, yesterday i delete TomTom and install NDRIVE V10 before give up, to make sure if the problem comes whith the Navcore 7,91 or not...
    This morning, in the car, i start the NDRIVE alone, and the message of no GPS, don´t go away, nothing hapen.
    So i tried the old way, start NDRIVE with GPS config on the COM1, baudrate 4800, and them start the Navigator 6, at this point, everithyng ok, the GPS antenna was activate and NDRIVE gets the signal...
    So, lets navigate to see what hapens... i was waiting at the first 10 Km, the NDRIVE crash, and lost the GPS signal!
    But i do 150 km and nothing hapens, the NDRIVE works fine and always with good GPS reception...
    After so many time searching on the web for one solution to put TomTom working, why i never thought in this!!!!! Because i like tomtom a lot...
    Now i think, is not TomTom, but this fuckink Acer, really works... My lucky day...

Now its your turn to try and see what hapen.

Cheese Mate

Thanks

LFGringo that seems to work arond the problem on an Acer but not on an hp ipaq hw6915....
    My ipaq is resting useless in its box as I could not work around the problem.

I might give it a new try and will try to install Sygic inseatd of TomTom, maybe that works. Problem is only that Sygic maps are always older than what can be found for TomTom.

Or, as In the meantime there are cracks available to update the OS on the hw6915, I will go and try to install WinMobile 6.1 and then give it a new try.

Alan Sweet is offline Private
    Thanks

I got it working with GPS gate....but you have to change the device i have a tutorial on here on how i did it...I answered this on here...

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/tomt...nce-5-1-a.html

It took a few days but I figured it out and it works excellent..i have the Ipaq 5915 with Navcore 7.917

Problems email me at aholic@gail.com
    Last edited by Alan Sweet; 7th April 2011 at 20:24. Reason: to find hwere I posted tutorial on this site.