When experimenting with maps on a Tomtom device and some PDAs I have, I found it pretty cumbersome and time consuming to generate the .DCT codes. So, I made a small program that makes it much easier to test maps on Tomtom devices or on memory card used in Navigator (PDA). It updates the .DCT files quickly and conveniently! No hassle with searching for device codes or uploading files to the hard drive and copying them back again! And it does it fast...
Let me explain first that there are two kinds of devices:
1. Devices that connect to the PC as disk drive with a drive letter. Tomtom devices are a good example. These devices can be handled by connecting them to the PC in the normal way.
2. PDAs and similar devices that connect to a PC using ActiveSync. Here one must take out the memory card and insert it into a card reader on the PC.
In both cases there are older versions that require a v7 keygen, new version require a v8 keygen. Gen DCT works for both versions. v6 is NOT supported
After downloading the .rar file, copy the files the files GenDCT.exe, meta.txt and tt8_keygen2.exe to the root directory of the Tomtom or the memory card in the reader
How to use the program
1. Copy the required maps, each in its own folder, to the tomtom or the memory card in the reader
2. Run GenDCT.exe from there and wait until it is ready
If you use a card reader, insert the memory card back in your device
If you are not changing your device, as of now you may also run GenDCT.bat
How it works
- The file GenDCT.exe reads the tomtom device code and the software version from "ttnavigator.bif" or "ttgo.bif".
- It produces a simple batch file called GenDCT.bat that activates the tt8_keygen2 for all tomtom folders
- Then the batch file is run: the correct .dct files are generated and the voices directory is also processed
Some important remarks
- If you use a Tomtom device, you must have a patched ttsystem or PNDNavigator (other tools exist for that). If your device is not patched GenDCT will not work!
- It works for devices with older and newer navcores (v7 and v8/v9 series)
- The program does NOT make backups of the old .dct files. If needed: back them up first!!!
- You should always use the latest meta.txt file.
- If you have a very recent map and a meta code that is not in meta_all.txt, you should copy the metacode as meta.txt to your tomtom (root). DenDCT2.exe will merge this file into meta_all.txt
Some other remarks
- If you wish to use an existing memory card (with maps) on another Tomtom or PDA, then first run Tomtom with the memory card inserted in the new Tomtom or PDA/phone: this will update the .bif file with the right device code. Then perform steps 1 and 2.
- Alternative use: run it from your hard disk - no need for a card reader! For instance, on your hard drive you may have a folder named 'tt8\maps' and in that folder is your collection of maps/regions such as "tt8\maps\Benelux_850.280", "tt8\maps\Europe_850.2782" etc. Now, you should first copy the 3 files to the folder 'tt8\maps', also copy your 'ttnavigator.bif' or 'ttgo.bif' to this directory and then run the GenDCT.exe program from there. Later drag/copy the folder with the updated codes to your device. No card reader is needed in this way.
- Testing done: I successfully processed many 7.xx and 8.xx maps. I used a Toshiba E350, an iPaq2210 (both PDAs tested with v.7,450 and v7.910), a Tomtom 910 (v.7.903) and a Tomtom XL IQ Routes (v9.026 and v9.053) for testing. I have no Tomtom compatible phone and would appreciate feedback. If the program chooses the wrong (7 or 8) keygen, then please send me a PM en attach your ttgo.bif. or ttnavigator.bif.
- As usual: use of the program is fully your own responsibility! Make sure you have backups!!
Thumbs up to the person who wrote tt8keygen2.exe: all essential tricks are performed by his program, mine is only a shell around it... Also thanks to TTUser for his smart batch file programming and The Maverick for his often updated meta.txt!