Thread: VDO PC5200 TSN

Thanks

VDO PC5200 TSN

Hi! I have a VDO PC5200 TSN. I tried to use the new Navteq 2012/2013 maps but the system doesn´t accept them.
    I tryed to load the normal PC5200 firmware to the system but it doen´t accept the firmware. I did´n found compatible
    maps for the PC5200 TSN. Does some one know where to get them or if it is possible to update to a normal PC5200 ?
    The newest map i can order is 2010/2011 :-(

hell is offline Brigadier General
    Thanks

Re: VDO PC5200 TSN

I think maps might be compatible with vdo pn4000 and pn6000 but even if it is true this is not a relief because newest maps are really old... I think only a small number of these units were sold so maps are updated less frequently...

anyway what files do you have on your map card?

I think updating your unit to a normal pc5200 is only possible if you desolder the flash memory IC and reflash it with a content of a pc5200, unfortunately I dont have this content, maybe the best would be to buy an other pc5200 from the garman ebay without display etc and sell back your TSN. of course all this applies if you do not need the truck specific things (weight, hight, width limits etc) because normal pc5200 maps do not have these features

Mauritius2003 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

The Navteq 2012/2013 maps from a normal PC5200/40 should also work on a PC5200CMN/40 (TSN).
    A friend of mine has them running on his TSN version without any problems
    But due to the different menu layout of the TSN version the POI's do not work.

Thanks

pois could be copied from old cards then if it is not hardcoded into the map

C Sense is offline Private
    Thanks

We have had experience of Flashing a PC5200/99 built for a Ford pick up to take the Truck software so it may be possible to do it the other way round?

Thanks

pc5200/99 is not not ford specific, it is just the late (after official production ceased on 1st Jan 2008) version of the pc5200XX/XX

how did you flash? and what did you flash to what. I think any pc5200 can be hard-flashed (desolder-> program -> resolder) to anything as they are hardware identical, though I have never tried myself as I have or had all the pc5200 variants apart from the odd pc5200TSN.

of course it can be software flashed to anything as well, just need special firmware versions.... the factory version of the PC5200PT/40 is made from a standard PC5200/40 via a 'special' frimware update and an additional label is attached to the back of the unit... that's it
    Last edited by hell; 22nd May 2013 at 12:44.

C Sense is offline Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hell View Post
    pc5200/99 is not not ford specific, it is just the late (after official production ceased on 1st Jan 2008) version of the pc5200XX/XX

how did you flash? and what did you flash to what. I think any pc5200 can be hard-flashed (desolder-> program -> resolder) to anything as they are hardware identical, though I have never tried myself as I have or had all the pc5200 variants apart from the odd pc5200TSN.

of course it can be software flashed to anything as well, just need special firmware versions.... the factory version of the PC5200PT/40 is made from a standard PC5200/40 via a 'special' frimware update and an additional label is attached to the back of the unit... that's it
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been side tracked with other projects.

We are looking into flashing our /99 to /PRO units, there are issues with this process as there are program blocks and checks on bootup with checksum's etc.

A special firmware update that flashes it properly like how it would have been done on a production line with a SD card is the end goal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C Sense View Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been side tracked with other projects.

We are looking into flashing our /99 to /PRO units, there are issues with this process as there are program blocks and checks on bootup with checksum's etc.

A special firmware update that flashes it properly like how it would have been done on a production line with a SD card is the end goal.

the fleet management service is not available anymore from VDO so it is a 'bit' pointless for me to flash a /99 unit (ANNRR200-40) to PRO unit (ANNRR200-20). the only difference between the regular pc5200xx/xx (which is roughly identical with /99 units) and PRO unit is the OPTION to attach the fleet management interface (external box) which is obsolete now since the service that the interface would use is non existent.

Apart from the above problem I unfortunately have never seen any firmware for /99 units, neither I have those special firmwares to soft convert these units, so you are left with the hard way but it is quite pointless I think since the 'PRO' unit is not any better than your current /99 and ANNRR200-50 units. I think (At least in Europe) the most usable unit is the PC5200PT/40 unit which supports most of the paytmc services in EU (iTIS in UK excluded), it uses the same firmware as the pc5200/00 & pc5200 units but it has the TMC decryption keys for most european TMC services (Vtrafic in France, payTMC in NL , TMCpro in Germany etc)

I think chances are that your ANNRR200-40 & ANNRR200-50 units wont accept to soft-flash the pc5200xx/xx firmware, at least there was a guy here who screwed up his unit with the v2.90 firmware for pc5200xx/xx, unfortunately the case has never been sorted as he disappeared.