GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navteq or teleAtlas?

bob12345 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Navteq or teleAtlas?

Hello,

I'm currently using TeleAtlas disc (Thanks) on 5400pro but have seen a link to Download Navteq..

What is the difference??? also, it looks like you use the same unlock code as teleAtlas, is the correct??

gazo is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 188 Posts

Re: Navteq or teleAtlas?

Navteq is a superior supplier of map data.

The Supercode does not unlock the discs but the computer
    All questions should be directed through the forum
    Private messages will be disregarded

bob12345 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Thank you, I think I'll give it a go...

hell is offline Lieutenant General
    Thanks

depends on the region, in Europe Navteq is far more better, in Australia we have only teleatlas map data issued by WhereIs. In north America I think there are both Navteq and Teleatlas but I dont have information about the differences of coverage

mjn
    mjn is offline Corporal
    Thanks

75% of ALL maps use Tele Atlas data ( see the logo's on the Navteq cd's ) I have both Navteq 2010/2011 and TeleAtlas 2010/2011 and the Navteq cd's are not as up-to-date as the TeleAtlas cd's. I have found many errors on the Navteq maps and the TeleAtlas maps reflect the same up-to-date maps as TomTom and Sygic McGuider ( which I also use ). ( I'm in the netherlands and travel between the UK, Germany, France and the Benelux countries. )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjn View Post
    75% of ALL maps use Tele Atlas data ( see the logo's on the Navteq cd's )
    Can you give an example of the TA claim on Navteq cd's?

Nice to know you have the 2010/2011 TeleAtlas maps.
    Would you be so kind to upload these so others can check your claims.

Since TeleAtlas has been using raw air reconnaissance data for decades without ever seriously testing and checking the data, it may appear that the data are newere more extensive but only to discover that, especially in the southern countries and Scandinavia, numerous so called road are little more than dirt roads unaccessible to a car.
    Especially in Frane and Spain/Portugal the secondary or departmental road seem to consist of pieces of road with a small gap between them where you are given a warning to return to the planned route.
    In rural areas every access road to a farm that is exactly oblique to the road is seen as a possible unwanted deviation of the route and may even be seen as a shortcut for the next curve.
    I am afraid that TeleAtlas is also including chances that are sometime years ahead of planning or construction, leading to ery dangerous situations
    Last edited by gazo; 5th November 2010 at 17:44.

mjn
    mjn is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Look on the Navteq box containing the 2010/2011 European Maps !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjn View Post
    Look on the Navteq box containing the 2010/2011 European Maps !
    And you continue to claim that on a Navteq box it is stated that TeleAtlas supplies 75 % of all map data?

By the way, I do have all Navteq publications 2010-2011 and nowhere is this claim to be found
    I´m afraid you are telling a lot of nonsense

hell is offline Lieutenant General
    Thanks

i have never ever seen any TA text or logo on any NTQ product, it would be really weird

mjn
    mjn is offline Corporal
    Thanks

I have lost the original NAVTEQ case which had my 2010/2011 CD's enclosed. So since I cannot prove what I saw I withdraw my statement and apologize for my statement unreservedly.

However attached is part of an email I received from Tele Atlas customer Support department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    04/11/10

Dear Sir,

NavTeq is our main competitor on the market of digital mapping. However there is an interaction between our companies, but on the whole they develop their maps and we develop ours.

Naturally we are pleased to hear that you are satisfied with a product that contains our maps and data. A finished product is influenced by different factors. We provide mapping material, but a manufacturer of Navigation software and navigation systems, decides what he will use while developing a product. This means that 2 systems, using our mapping material in their software might still have a difference in quality.

We are not in a position to judge the products of our competitor, but the fact is that 75% of the navigation systems and web applications in Europe use our mapping material and data.
    We do an updated release of our database quarterly. The manufacturer decides when to buy an update and how much of the DB he wants to acquire. This explains the difference between products that use our material.

Do not hesitate to contact us, should you have more questions.

Kind regards,

The Tele Atlas Team
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have today used the NAVTEQ map error reporting facility on-line to highlight the errors on their database. These are major road changes which took place at the end of 2008 beginning 2009. At major road junctions and round-a-bout systems connecting to the A28 Amsterdam – Utrecht motorway in central Netherlands. The NAVTEQ 2010/2011 maps do not show these major motorway changes ???
    There are many other changes and new roads being constructed all around the area where we live. The Tele Atlas on-line maps show these changes but NAVTEQ as yet does not.

The original forum post was to ask for a comparison between the two systems. On my experiance driving major routes and major towns and cities in Western Europe I have found the Tele Atlas maps to be more up-to-date. This is my opinion only based on my usage of the two systems, and the errors I have found and now reportd to NAVTEQ.
    I appreciate that your experiance may be different based upon your particular area where you drive. Bare in mind that the areas of high traffic usage are more likely to be covered and updated rather than areas of low traffic useage, by the map making companies.
    A difference of opinion is always a good thing and I respect your findings and opinions totally.
    Now let the person who originally asked the question and anyone else decide for himself / themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)