Thread: do i need to update?

do i need to update?

hi, i am downloading map v10.8048 west eu for the car of my brother he has golf 6 2009 with a rns 510
    in order to use this cd nav do i need to be on a specific firmware or something like that?
    thanks

Re: do i need to update?

I have a similar question. I have a 2010 golf 6 and rns 510, it has western EU maps loaded and I live in east eu, I downloaded ee v10 maps and I would like to know if I just need to burn them and install or do I need some newer firmware than what it has? I'm sure it has default software that came with it.

Also another thing, I can't find concrete answer how exactly to install new maps, some say with no key inserted, some with car running... advice? But mainly interested in if newer fw is needed for newer maps. I don't really wanna mess with FW so I'd rather avoid it, maps are enough for me and unit works just fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mravuljan View Post
    I have a similar question. I have a 2010 golf 6 and rns 510, it has western EU maps loaded and I live in east eu, I downloaded ee v10 maps and I would like to know if I just need to burn them and install or do I need some newer firmware than what it has? I'm sure it has default software that came with it.

Also another thing, I can't find concrete answer how exactly to install new maps, some say with no key inserted, some with car running... advice? But mainly interested in if newer fw is needed for newer maps. I don't really wanna mess with FW so I'd rather avoid it, maps are enough for me and unit works just fine so far.
    HI @Mravuljan

from software 4120 is better polish voice
    If you would like to update your firmware first check what version hardware you have.
    You can't install the newest version sfotware for the oldest units.
    If i remember correct for units A you can install only firmwate to version 4120.
    In my opinion you should try install 4120A version if you havent's vcds(don't need to recode your unit).
    If you have vcds you can try install 4120.

New maps install in this way.
    If you have dvds with maps you put dvd in you units and you have to check in what you wanna to used maps.
    If you want to read maps from dvd you have to click on that answer if you wanna install on harddisk you have to click on that answer.
    If click on install maps on hardware, you can check progress install maps by click on button from remove dvd. Then you should see progres bar instalation.

Hi @emre076
    i think that for your questions the answer should be the same

i have read in order to install the v10 maps you need to repartition your hdd or it will give error problems. on RNS Firmware there is firmware called 4020 for older units and it partitions the hdd in 60/35/5 wich means: 60GB music 35GB maps 5GB poi's
    i havent tried but it should work for older and newer units *** it can installs also on newer

I think my HDD is 30 gb and around 18 is for music at the moment. Haven't gone out today, maybe I'll go to the car later and check everything. Burned the dvd, passed verification and all, just gotta try now.

As far as i know means 60/35/5 the % percentage of your HDD partitions in the rns510 ==> 30GB or 40GB(newer units)
    for the newer maps you need the 3 partitions.

I tried the dvd and it worked while in, I will try installing later. Also I held setup button but it only allowed me to chose FM and AM and once clicking on either there was some info. Any way to tell which fw is my unit without removing it or something? I do not have access to any tools to connect with it or remove it.

i wrote you in my post:

In my opinion you should try install 4120A version if you havent's vcds(don't need to recode your unit).

and how can i know if that i need to recode?
    and does it require hardware or is it made by software?