GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skoda Columbus

mtl
    Thanks

Skoda Columbus

I am just waiting to get my new Skoda with Columbus navigation and would like to be prepaired to install the maps.
    As far as I have managed to find out, Columbus uses the same navigation DVDs as VW RNS510. So, DVDs from this link ( ) should work. Is this correct?
    Regarding burning I will use IMGBurn with only 4xspeed, Verbatim DVD-R media, so this should be covered. Or do I have to check something else? Is it important which firmware version navigation has? How to check it? Do I have to update firmware version? How can I add POI-s.

Is it possible to just copy the maps to hard drive, so that DVD does not need to be installed in navigation.

PS: Sorry for beginers questions, but if there is some post that all this has already been described I would appreciate a link to it.
    Last edited by mtl; 9th December 2010 at 09:03.

gazo is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 188 Posts

Re: Skoda Columbus

There is nothing wrong with what you intend to do.
    Your navigation should be fully equipped for the use of these DVD's.
    However, if you are expecting the new car one would expect it to be delivered with the latest DVD. Or do you take delivery without the maps being installed to avoid the additional expenditure?
    All questions should be directed through the forum
    Private messages will be disregarded

mtl
    Thanks

According to the words from the company I have ordered the car, in our country DVDs are not included in the price. I did not order them separately since I knew that I can get hold of them here. Probably also only one region would be included (Eastern), but I need both. Anyway, if maps will be installed even better, but anyway, I would like to get the newest version also on DVD, since my colleague would need them for Touran RNS510.

mazmar is offline Private
    Thanks

I too have this navigation. it was delivered with maps east 5(i think) so i installed 6 west and it overwrote the old maps and few eastern countries were lost. i now have downloaded (in progress) both west7 and east7. is there a way to install them both?

and sorry for few more noob questions but info about FW hasn't been answered here. how is it with Skoda colombus FW does it use same as VW and is it just the name? or it uses completely diff FW so i can't flash to 3800. and what is better in neew FW. i have stock FW in skoda superb 2008. and i dont know why should i upgrade.

thanks for anything.

Thanks

FW for Skoda is exactly the same.
    If you do not know what you're doing, which is the case with 90% of those who upgrade, do not do it

It is quite easy to understand that it is impossible to have 2 DVD's with identical filenames but different coverage installed in the same area on your HDD.
    The secobnd always overwrites the next
    Apart from that I assume you have not seen a menu item where you can select the covered area of Europe?

mazmar is offline Private
    Thanks

Nope. no selectable map. first maps were pre installed by company that sold me the car. and when i inserted v6 it just asked if i want to install new maps. and then it updated and overwrote them. but how can east and west dvds have same file name? from what i've seen in this threads v7east is 7334 and v7west 7333 so these two should not override each other or will they? or can i do a fresh new install with the selectable map? i will try to uninstall the maps completely this week to see what can be done.

thanks for wf answer. i'm not planning to upgrade fw till i'll find out what benefits it has. and apparently i'm not going to update at all

mtl
    Thanks

Finally I have received my car, without maps of course . Tested V7 EE maps, works great, now I just have to copy EE and WE maps to HDD and that's it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtl View Post
    Finally I have received my car, without maps of course . Tested V7 EE maps, works great, now I just have to copy EE and WE maps to HDD and that's it.
    It is impossible to copy both DVD's to your HDD
    It is either the one or the other
    Last edited by gazo; 1st February 2011 at 19:44.

mtl
    Thanks

Damn, too bad. I live near Italy, so I would need both. But ok, will copy music to HDD and the issue is solved .
    Thx for sharing.

jj99 is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi all!
    I was pleasantly surprissed when I saw this topic, but slightly dissapointed as it has almost no answers to new skoda user.

I would also like to ask some "power users" to share some info, which I believe will help not only to us, but also to other users that will seek such information.

So:
    - how is it possible to check FW version on Columbus (RNS510);
    - how to add custom POIs (speedcams would be nice!);

and also:
    - is it perhaps possible (with FW upgrade) to change the character coding in columbus? Namely, I have some names in non-US characters in my address book, which now all look funny. I guess it shouldn't be impossible, but is it simple enough to do it.

Thank you for your help and advices!
    Best regards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast