• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHITEDRAG0N
    started a topic Garmin jnx file format hacking

Garmin jnx file format hacking

PROJECT OUTLINE

Brief intro

JNX files are used in Garmin devices to show the raster maps available via BirdsEye service subscription. In the devices, these files reside in Garmin\BirdsEye folder on the internal disk or the memory card.

JNX is so called tile format, i.e. a large raster map is divided into smaller rectangular pieces (tiles) to speedup the map rendering.

This format is supported by the following Garmin devices: Colorado 300/400, Dakota 10/20, Edge 800, GPSMAP 62/78, Oregon 200/300/400/450/550.

In the same devices, you can also use raster maps in Google Earth format (KMZ) - "Custom Maps".
    Custom Maps is a tile format just like JNX, but there are several important differences between these two:

As you may see, the most significant drawbacks of JNX format are locking to a device, and impossibility to make a JNX file from some existing raster map you have.

Goal of the research

BirdsEye provides rather poor-quality satellite imagery for the number of territories. So, it would be really great to use JNX tile format for the scanned versions of old paper maps in modern Garmin devices. This is already possible with KMZ files, but their limitations make them practically useless for the large maps.

When the JNX format is fully discovered, it would be possible to make a map converter from OziExplorer, GeoTIFF and other raster map formats to JNX.

Results

Unfortunately, it's currently impossible to achieve all the above-listed goals, since an asymmetric encryption is used to lock the JNX files.

A more detailed JNX discription can be found here

JNX FIRMWARE PATCHER:-

A firmware patcher to remove the limitation on number of displayed demo-maps, and their max area has been created.

FIRMWARE PACTHER VERSION 2.9

THANKS TO WHITER FOR THE FIRMWARE PATCHER

THIS PAGE IS RESERVED FOR ALL FIRMWARE PATCH UPDATES AND FINDINGS
    Last edited by WHITEDRAG0N; 30th September 2011, 05:19. Reason: 2.7 patcher added

• Lechat14
    replied
    Re: Garmin jnx file format hacking

Hello,
    I create jnx files for my Garmin GPSmap62SC with SASPlanet, all works fine last year, but French "geoportail", the link with topo maps, is modified, does somebody know where I can find the new file ".zmp" with the good parameters for SASplanet for the new access ?
    Thank you very much
    Bests Regards.

Leave a comment:

• Lechat14
    replied

Hello,
    I create jnx files for my Garmin GPSmap62SC with SASPlanet, all works fine last year, but French "geoportail", the link with topo maps, is modified, does somebody know where I can find the new file ".zmp" with the good parameters for SASplanet for the new access ?
    Thank you very much
    Bests Regards.

Leave a comment:

• skygear
    replied

Originally posted by er33 View Post
    Hi,

Edge Touring and Edge Touring Plus come now out of the box with a 2.80 firmware.
    Last firmware available by webupdater is only 2.70, which is currently the last supported by the Patcher.
    If you downgrade to 2.70 (or Patched 2.70), it will brick you device : everything on screen is displayed upside down.
    I had to send my device back.
    What about this 2.80 firmware ?
    Firmware versions supported by the patcher

Looks like it is "supported, but not yet tested in real device"...

Leave a comment:

• er33
    replied

edit : sorry, double posting

Leave a comment:

• er33
    replied

Hi,

Edge Touring and Edge Touring Plus come now out of the box with a 2.80 firmware.
    Last firmware available by webupdater is only 2.70, which is currently the last supported by the Patcher.
    If you downgrade to 2.70 (or Patched 2.70), it will brick you device : everything on screen is displayed upside down.
    I had to send my device back.
    What about this 2.80 firmware ?

Leave a comment:

• GPSMO
    replied

Originally posted by roger47 View Post
    The limit was 10000 tiles at each level; now 50,000 in this version (1001) which is, I think, the Garmin limit.

But what do you do with a KMZ with 10,000+ tiles? Will Basecamp handle it; will Google Earth??
    Hi,

JNX2KMZ is great tools thanks !

I have also the problem with the JNX2KMZ 10000 tiles limit and the link given above for the version with 50000 is no more valid.

Can you please put a new one.

Thanks a lot,

GPSMO

Leave a comment:

• GPSMO
    replied

Originally posted by roger47 View Post
    The limit was 10000 tiles at each level; now 50,000 in this version (1001) which is, I think, the Garmin limit.

But what do you do with a KMZ with 10,000+ tiles? Will Basecamp handle it; will Google Earth??
    Hi,

I have also the problem with the 10000 tiles limit and the link given above for the version with 50000 is no more valid.

Can you please put a new one.

Thanks a lot,

GPSMO

Leave a comment:

• eclipse18
    replied

i have a question for you guys. Maybe it is already in this thread and I missed it. if that's the case I apologize. Say I have a sd card with birdseye downloaded to it and it is in my gps and working good. if I bought an additional gps and wanted to make a copy of the sdcard and put it in my new gps, what would I need to do to make it work on my new gps. Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• jbadilla
    replied

A new mapping watch from garmin was announced last week, and it should support BirdsEye images (jnx??)

it would be interesting checking this unit once available to see if a method for unlocking jnx limitations could be developed.

Leave a comment:

• sparks305
    replied

Originally posted by sparks305 View Post
    I have been able to accomplish everything in this thread needed for successfully making my own .JNX maps. However, I cannot locate where to download my firmware for my GPSMAP 62st. I have been able to update the firmware to 5.80 but I have no idea where BaseCamp stores the temp file when it updates the firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At last but not least, thanks to all who contributed to this massive project, you guys are awesome!

Mahalo,
    Michael
    ****bump****

Leave a comment:

• sparks305
    replied

I have been able to accomplish everything in this thread needed for successfully making my own .JNX maps. However, I cannot locate where to download my firmware for my GPSMAP 62st. I have been able to update the firmware to 5.80 but I have no idea where BaseCamp stores the temp file when it updates the firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At last but not least, thanks to all who contributed to this massive project, you guys are awesome!

Mahalo,
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• krazyeone
    replied

Does anybody have an youtube movie , I want to see how it looks JNX maps on Edge 810
    Also there is an tutorial step by step , how to patch firmware and how to create an map?
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• krazyeone
    replied

Does anybody have an youtube movie , I want to see how it looks JNX maps on Edge 810
    Also there is an tutorial step by step , how to patch firmware and how to create an map?
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• clumpy
    replied

Thanks very much! I didn't know it could do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X