Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'MapSelect': a new program to select maps in your Garmin or storage card

Summary
    'MapSelect' is nice program that allows you to use multiple maps on your Garmin device or on your storage card.
    The number of valid maps is determined by your Garmin, so you can't use more maps simultaneously, but it allows you to easily select from a number of maps on your device or storage card.

Description
    One problem with Garmin devices is that very few filenames are accepted as valid map names. Normally MapSource creates a map called 'gmapsupp.img'. Also unlocked maps are also mainly offered under the same name.
    A good example: on a N�vi device with storage card of 4G, only one map will be found: 'gmapsupp.img'! Internally also the mapsnames gmapprom.img and gmapprom1.img are allowed.

I wanted more maps available on my Garmin, but also an easy way to select them. So, I wrote a PC program that makes it easy to select from up to ten maps on a Garmin device and storage card.
    The trick now is to give your maps names that are a bit different such as gmapsupa.img, gmapsupb.img etc. Then the program 'MapSelect' allows you to rename them to maps that Garmin sees as valid.

As a bonus, the program can edit the map name embedded in the file!

The rar file contains the program plus a document with detailed description how to use it....

Good luck to all and comments are highly appreciated!

QS
    Last edited by wwoef; 2nd May 2011, 14:03. Reason: Updated figure link

Re: 'MapSelect': a new program to select maps in your Garmin or storage card

wwoef,

This is excatly the thing I have been struggling with lately on my 76CSx and Oregon 400 when I have several g2 Bluechart images loaded on a MemCard.

I have been renaming them as needed, but this will make it easier.

I can't wait to start to play around with the program.

I'll let you know how things go with it.

Regards.

Originally posted by wwoef View Post
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/407234658/mapselect.rar.html
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TX2NPRJ7
    Good luck to all and comments are highly appreciated!

QS

Comment

On the Oregon you can give the maps any name you like, as long as it has the img extension. e.g.: Northsea.img or Europe.img etc.

Comment

Originally posted by HaTeVe View Post
        On the Oregon you can give the maps any name you like, as long as it has the img extension. e.g.: Northsea.img or Europe.img etc.
        HaTeVe,

I didn't know that ! It's a handy bit of information to know.

Thanks for that tip.

Comment

Your program is very interesting.

Thanks
          Last edited by Airion; 17th July 2010, 07:17.

Comment

There is a minor update to the program: it crashed when a \garmin folder didn't contain a valid image file.
            If any more problems pop - please PM me!
            QS

Comment

I am running my Garmin on a PND (WinCE). I think the program is not too useful to me since it is a PC based package.

It would be best if the MapSelect can be transplanted to the WinCE format, so that I can change the maps on my PND.

Comment

Originally posted by HKRen View Post
                It would be best if the MapSelect can be transplanted to the WinCE format, so that I can change the maps on my PND.
                Dear HKRen,
                It is an option, yes, but only for the people that use Garmin XT. I have, so far, no experience with writing programs for Win CE, but who knows I may one day give it a try.
                The maps are always on a memory card - the internal working memory is simply too small. So you really should get the storage card out and insert it in a card reader...
                By the way, in your case, both gmapsupp.img as well as gmapsup2.img can be used by Garmin.
                Who knows, one day I'll find the trick also to check devices that are connected via ActiveSync... then no more card swapping is needed!
                Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by HaTeVe View Post
                  That's true on the Oregon... BUT... if you try to get HomePort to see the charts by reading them from your unit, unless it is named gmapsupp.img, all that will show up in HomePort is "user Data" and it will not load the image from the GPS into HomePort.

Comment

By the way, in your case, both gmapsupp.img as well as gmapsup2.img can be used by Garmin.
                    Who knows, one day I'll find the trick also to check devices that are connected via ActiveSync... then no more card swapping is needed!
                    Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hi wwoef

Thanks very much for your attention.

My Garmin Mobile XT on WinCE uses gmapprom.img as its first map, and gmapsupp.img as the second map. I believe it does not suport the 3rd map.

I have in fact got one WinCE package in this forum (before it was hacked) which can be used in my PND for map select. It works yet with some minor bug.

Comment

New 1xxx series allow you to create any new map with any name just tagged with img on the device map folder. The only restriction is that internal memory has only 2gb. The external microSD can accept only gmapsupp.img as its deault map.

Comment

i dont inderstand how i cant have 2 maps on my SD card in garmin nuvi 350. it's posible working with 2 maps? plese can you help me step by step.

please :-( :-( :-(

Comment

As I understand, with a nuvi device you can only have one file 'gmapsupp.img' on your SD card.
                          Internally you may have 2 more - see first post in this thread.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Airion View Post
                            Your program is very interesting.

Thanks
                            There is a minor update to the program: it crashed when a \garmin folder didn't contain a valid image file.
                            If any more problems pop - please PM me!
                            QS

Comment

How many maps can I have on my Garmin?

3 right? 2 on internal memory, and 1 on SD? is there a way for my to put more maps?

because is boring to every time change the name of the map to gmapsupp.img for the gps to recongnize it (I use multiple maps)...

is anybody knows how to use more than 3 maps, please tell us how, PLEASE

Comment

Working...
                              X