Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Nüvi 765 full clean install and new maps

Hello

I have problems with my Garmin Nüvi 765 device.
    It is old device. I have updated maps once from Garmin homepage (a one-time option), two times from this webpage and evrything worked fine and 1,5 years ago I wanted updated the device software itself and followed instructions and it went well, but device has changed greatly - it is very slow, works slowly, touchscreen is slow, map instuctions does not always works, etc. Quite annoying to use.
    I tried once more to upgrade but then something happened maps and in device there remained in the Baltic countries and I got sick of device, and the device remained into the drawer after that.
    But now, I wanted to try again.

I looked, there is 2016 Europe map.- Garmin City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.10.
    This is working yes?

But please, how do I delete my 765 device (just with PC, garmin folder and delete full folder content?) and how do I make full clean install (what files I need and if I need backup some of my old ones from device?) to my 765 device with 2016 Europe map or just few parts of it (I need NOR, SWE, FIN, EST, LAT, LTU, POL, GER, FRA).

Please refresh my memory, what are Garmin terms (gmapsupp, locked, unlocked map, gmap3d, mapinstall etc.) and what are step by step instructions, how to make this half bricked device working again.
    First 2 times it went all well, but last 2 times something went wrong, device is like half bricked - not working properly. So I think, only solution is - clean install.
    But please, how specifically how to do it, I do not want do have 3. time half bricked device - again.
    Or just - device is broken (got old) and I should discard it into trash and buy a new one?

I already read Garmin GPS systems subforum - garmin model listings/ garmin maps / garmin tutorials. Quite hard to understand these terms again, after these years. What they do and what they are ment to.
    Last edited by Quattro1; 13th October 2015, 07:14.

Re: Garmin Nüvi 765 full clean install and new maps

About your Garmin device.

Your Garmin Nuvi 765 are one of the old ones.
    You have to use NT maps and NOT NTU maps: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garm...2016-10-a.html
    Remember to use/download "FULL unlocked IMG created with MapInstall"
    And Second... DON'T delete your Garmin... connect it to Garmin Express and update the firmware, then disconnect again.

Third... You have a' SD-card slot onto your Garmin, buy a' 4 GB SD-Card

Fourth... In your new SD-card.. create a' folder Named: Garmin (remember to use "G" big big letter)

Fifth... Copy your downloaded: *gmapsupp.img* file into your SD-card... Sd-card/Garmin/

Sixth... Go into maps setting into your device... and unpick your old map.... and now pick your newly installed maps.
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you.
      That worked perfectly.
      Sorry for long delayd answer.

(y)
      Deleted old gmapsupp file on device folder (2014 map), left remaining original basemap, connected device to Garmin Express and updated software and device works again. Touching works, maps works, menus are fast.

Only problem is that device cant find satellite connection quickly, it takes time for 5 to 10 minutes, even under the open sky-that is only strange thing.

Comment

If you need all (original) back up: garmin nuvi 765, just write. Bye
        Regional Coordinator & Product manager at HERE WeGo - (Berlin)

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro1 View Post
          Thank you.
          That worked perfectly.
          Sorry for long delayd answer.

(y)
          Deleted old gmapsupp file on device folder (2014 map), left remaining original basemap, connected device to Garmin Express and updated software and device works again. Touching works, maps works, menus are fast.

Only problem is that device cant find satellite connection quickly, it takes time for 5 to 10 minutes, even under the open sky-that is only strange thing.
          With your issue > long time to Satellite are found, only option are to connect with a' external Antenna, I think you have a' plug on your Garmin to connect to external GPS-Antenna
          Hope it help you out
          sigpic

Comment

I had the same issue with my Nuvi 765 (it takes time for 5 to 10 minutes, even under the open sky)
            After firmware update it takes only seconds, but after the update I can only use maps from freestreetmaps.nl
            others give 'can't unlock maps' error.

Comment

nice information, thank you so much

Comment

Working...
              X