Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Firmware Patching methods, the easiest method that worked for you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Firmware Patching methods, the easiest method that worked for you.

Hi there

I have Garmin SmartDrive 50 LMT-D
    I have found a few different methods to patch garmin firware, so now I am a bit confused.

Can you help me with this guide?

1 Set device to Mass Storage (I have done that)
    2 Remove any gupdate.gcd in your device. (I know how to do that)
    3 Download the patcher: Download (I have donwloaded FirmwarePatcher340)
    4 Download firmware gupdate.gcd ( Where from? which one?)
    Copy it in the patcher directory Note: be sure to get your device HWID firmware, check it in garmindevice.xml HWID numbers (I know HWID is 2267, What do I do with the number?)

5 Open Patcher and drop the gupdate.gcd in patcher window. The patcher will provide the patched gupdate.gcd in your chosen directory. ( I have done that see picture 1)
    6 Drop your patched gupdate.gcd in RGNTool and save it as .rgn. (I have done that, see picture 2)
    7 Drag the .rgn in Updater.exe icon, Updater.exe will open, tick USB (Updater.exe is it the same as Garmin webupdater version 2.5.6 which I have donloaded? Do I need SD card in my garmin?)
    8 Now plug your device to your pc and device will start and immediately, as Garmin logo appears press upper left corner to get preboot mode and make Updater.exe to see your device, at that point click OK (still holding upper left corner untill the flashing process is finished and Updater will show "Success!") Safely unplug device from pc.
    Clear Non Vol. ( Look here )

What about like this:

1 Set device to Mass Storage
    2 Remove any gupdate.gcd in your device.
    3 Download the patcher
    4 Open patcher and drop the gupdate.gcd (That's the copy of the original from my gamin (.sytem)
    5 incrementing the version by 1 during the patch process then simply renaming the patched GCD file to GUPDATE.GCD and placing it in the root.
    Upon starting up the device should recognized the update and automatically applied it. Basically skip using RGNTool or the Updater.

Would this work???

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	450831

Name:	Picture2.PNG
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	450832
    Last edited by Patrick797; 19th February 2017, 14:47.

Re: Garmin Firmware Patching methods, the easiest method that worked for you.

Anyone ???

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick797 View Post
      Hi there

I have Garmin SmartDrive 50 LMT-D
      I have found a few different methods to patch garmin firware, so now I am a bit confused.

What about like this:

2 Remove any gupdate.gcd in your device.
      3 Download the patcher
      4 Open patcher and drop the gupdate.gcd (That's the copy of the original from my gamin (.sytem)
      5 incrementing the version by 1 during the patch process then simply renaming the patched GCD file to GUPDATE.GCD and placing it in the root.
      Upon starting up the device should recognized the update and automatically applied it. Basically skip using RGNTool or the Updater.

Would this work???

Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14006[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]14007[/ATTACH]
      After the step 5 just follow the manual at original thread from poin 6 and make patched RGN file. Just to have in mind that RGN file in your case must look like 226701000250.rgn where first 4 digits are HWID ( in your case 2267 ), and last 4 digits are SW version of update / seem your is 250 / - you can see it when use Garmin Express to update device/download original GCD or just to get if from Device info.

Use now updater and preboot mode - all be fine.

Say TNX to P33dro .

WBR, DebeliaMark

Comment

Thanks for replying

I am not sure if this is correct

2 Safe & then remove any gupdate.gcd from your device.
        3 Download the patcher
        4 Open patcher and drop the gupdate.gcd (That's the copy of the original gupdate.gcd from my gamin .sytem folder)
        5 incrementing the version by 1 during the patch process (Do I need to do that???)
        then simply renaming the patched GCD file to GUPDATE.GCD
        6 After I have done the patching, run the RGNTool.
        Do I need to change (firmware section) overrides HWID & SW version in RGNTool ???
        ( I haven’t change anything there) Should I change it or not??? Why do I need to know HWID then?

Drop your patched gupdate.gcd in RGNTool and do I need to save the rgn file as 226701000510.rgn ???
        I think my HWID is 2267 & SW version 5.10
        I am I correct?

Then
        Drag the .rgn in Updater.exe icon, Updater.exe will open, tick USB
        Now plug your device to your pc and device will start and immediately, as Garmin logo appears press upper left corner to get preboot mode and make Updater.exe to see your device, at that point click OK (still holding upper left corner until the flashing process is finished and Updater will show "Success!") Safely unplug device from pc.

Thanks for your help

Name:	IMG_2586.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	447049
        Last edited by Patrick797; 19th March 2017, 12:05.

Comment

Anyone???

Please help!!!

Thanks
          Last edited by Patrick797; 22nd February 2017, 18:50.

Comment

Anyone? Please

Is that correct? Please correct me if not

After I have done the patching, run the RGNTool.
            Do I need to change (firmware section) overrides HWID & SW version in RGNTool ???
            (I haven’t change anything there) Should I change it or not??? Why do I need to know HWID then?

Any answers to my questions ????????????????

Thanks
            Last edited by Patrick797; 19th March 2017, 12:09.

Comment

It's correct. Do not need to change HWID and SW version ...

Comment

Working...
              X