TomTom making old devices obsolete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTom making old devices obsolete

Just received this mail from TomTom . Typical....time to replace your perfectly good device so we can make more money.

Every day, at TomTom, we work very hard to bring you the best navigation experience ever. A big part of this work is to continuously improve the quality of the maps, services and software that your sat nav runs on. It has become clear that some of our older generation navigation devices do not have sufficient resources to run the newest maps and software available.
    We will continue to provide quick GPS fix updates so your device will continue to function as it does now, but your map will become out-of-date and as such navigation will be less accurate.
    For this reason, we have had to stop software updates, sales of map updates and other services as of January 2018. Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.
    The latest generation of TomTom devices now come with Free lifetime updates for World Maps, Traffic and Speed cameras. Maps, services and software are easily updated via Wi-Fi without the need to connect to a computer. They are also the fastest devices we have ever built, with quad core processors and 16GB of memory (expandable via SD card).
    In case you think it's a good time to consider replacing your TomTom device, please see more information on our latest devices below

For the list of devices now obsolete:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

And this will repeat every 5 years ?
    The new earn model of TomTom
    For the moment, don't worries, your device is still working.
    TomTom GO 910 - Navcore 9.510 Bootloader 5.5128 Hitachi HDD replaced by SDHC 32GB Class 10
    TomTom Rider v2 - Navcore 9.500 v5 Menu Bootloader 5.5128 32MB available 5.1MB BeNeLux
    TomTom One N14644 Canada 310 - Navcore 9.510 Bootloader 5.5011
    TomTom on PDA iPAQ 2210 - HAiCOM HI-305III GPS Receiver PCMCIA - Navcore 7.450 Still running some latest maps.
    TomTom on iPhone 4 Google Maps

Comment

Its still working but won't be able apply new map updates?

Comment

Noticed that my GO910 is not on the "obsolete" list - now into its twelfth year and still performing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish View Post
          Noticed that my GO910 is not on the "obsolete" list - now into its twelfth year and still performing well.
          Mine 910 too and my Rider v2 ?
          I don't see it in the list while almost devices with 2GB memory or less are nog longer supported.
          But as long as we're able to update our bootloader and using SDHC cards above 2GB, don't worries we're still able to use the big maps
          for the moment.
          TomTom GO 910 - Navcore 9.510 Bootloader 5.5128 Hitachi HDD replaced by SDHC 32GB Class 10
          TomTom Rider v2 - Navcore 9.500 v5 Menu Bootloader 5.5128 32MB available 5.1MB BeNeLux
          TomTom on PDA iPAQ 2210 - HAiCOM HI-305III GPS Receiver PCMCIA - Navcore 7.450 Still running some latest maps.

Comment

So any device that has been using latest Map downloads from here.
            This TomTom announcement will not apply. ??
            TomTom One: V1 - 35MB Ram
            Navcore: 9.510
            Bootloader: 5.5250
            Map: WesternEurope 940-5963
            4GB SD card

Comment

As long as they fit your systemm for the time beeing no problem
              But he next problem will be, how to get the right meta codes ?

Comment

The obsolete list isn't very clear about the exact models affected. I have a One XL (4S00.007) from 2008, and an XXL IQ Routes (4EP0.001.02) which is from around 2011, but I can't find any of those two-letter codes from my devices. However, it's pretty certain that at least the older one is now out of support.

[EDIT] Now I got it, those two letters are the beginning of serial number, not the model code. Both of my devices are in the list!

I'm wondering whether there is any devices with 8.xx or 9.xx Navcores surviving the axe. It surely means the end of getting any meta codes, if all pre-10.xx devices are now obsoleted?

Why I'm not just bying a new one then? I don't like the UI of new devices at all. These old 8 and 9.xx Navcores, despite having lots of submenus, are quite intuitive to use after all. I have tested some new ones in a store and found them frustrating, and some Garmins I looked for were even worse for anything other than write-the-adress-and-go. The in-car Tomtom navigator in my Toyota isn't any better either.
                Last edited by tohis; 2nd February 2018, 16:39.

Comment

Hi,
                  On 18th April 2018 I bought another year's Live Services for my GO750. Takes it up to December 2019. Have TomTom changed their mind about the announced January stopping of support?

Comment

Originally posted by sunseeker09 View Post
                    Hi,
                    On 18th April 2018 I bought another year's Live Services for my GO750. Takes it up to December 2019. Have TomTom changed their mind about the announced January stopping of support?
                    The mysteries of TomTom.
                    Looking around it would appear that TomTom have stopped supporting some GO 750's but not all
                    TomTom Tutorials here :-
                    http://gpsunderground.com/forum/foru...-tutorials-faq

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom12 View Post

The mysteries of TomTom.
                      Looking around it would appear that TomTom have stopped supporting some GO 750's but not all
                      Yup, see here https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

Comment

Working...
                      X