TomTom now slow to acquire satellite signal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTom now slow to acquire satellite signal

When I first got my XL335S, it seemed to pick up the satellite signals very quickly, especially after connecting to TTHome. Maybe 5-10 seconds.

Since then I have updated to a newer map and official navcore (9.026) and it now is much slower to acquire the satellite signal, even after connecting to TTH. Maybe 30 seconds.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Re: TomTom now slow to acquire satellite signal

there is a gps update for sat correction or better still take it of your original backup copy and paste

Comment

Originally posted by paulsmith6 View Post
      there is a gps update for sat correction or better still take it of your original backup copy and paste
      When you connect to TT Home are you updating the quick gpsfix files, these will enable your tomtom to get a fix by preinstalling sat positions, these last for 7 days, so a regular update is necessary.
      TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
      Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
      Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Comment

Yes, I connect my TomTom to TTH all the time and I still have the problem :-(

Comment

Did TTH actually download the QuickGPSfix? And is it on your TT (there should be a couple of files in the 'ephem' folder in the root of you TT)?

Comment

Well there are 2 files in the ephem folder (ee_meta.tlv and ee_meta.txt). They are both very small files (1k)
            They are dated 4 months ago (Feb.23).
            Should they have a current date?
            When I connect to TomTomHome, I remember I used to see QuickGPSFix being downloaded. But since I changed my map and received an updated navcore from TomTomHome, I haven't seen QuickGPSFix being downloaded anymore.
            Is there a way to have it regularly downloaded again?

Comment

There should be three files in the ephem folder: ee_meta.tlv, ee_meta.txt and lto.dat. I've included them in the attachment. Extract and copy them to the ephem folder. Then connect to TTH. I think TTH will update them now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you etc.
                It worked like a charm!!!!
                I have no idea how it works, but it works.
                Get signal now in 10 seconds instead of 45.
                Did I say Thank you? :-)

Comment

You're welcome .

Comment

I have a go 500 with the same problem but worse, sometimes wont pick up for an hour will the above work for mine? i cannot find that folder.

Comment

Just create the ephem folder yourself (it should be in the root). Then copy the three files and update via TT HOME.

Comment

Wow, this should be under Tools & Tweaks. I unpacked the files to the ephem folder and updated via TT HOME. The TT now finds a signal about four times faster. Thanks Megalos!

Comment

Originally posted by virtualkimbo View Post
                          I have a go 500 with the same problem but worse, sometimes wont pick up for an hour will the above work for mine? i cannot find that folder.
                          Hi, the place to look is usually in "My Documents" Tom Tom folder, look for the folder mentioned and quick gpsfix /ephem just delete the contents or the Tom Tom home will not update the files [I update 3x Tom Toms at work and this is the only was to get it to work] good luck

Comment

Having had this problem several times in the past I can say the following:

Changing the Navcore will frequently alter the ephem file in the root of your device, leading to slow satellite acquisition. The ephem file is often an older version.

The way that has worked perfectly for me is as follows: Go into the tomtom home files on your computer. Easiest way to find location is search for Ephemeris. You will find it (them) under the tt home installation folder/complete/ephemeris.

Now is the easy bit: just delete all the quickGPSfix files you find there. Yes, trust me this works!

Now reconnect your device to tthome and it will download the latest available Quickfix data for your device and then you can transfer it as normal.

Once you have done this, set the device in a position where it has a good view of satellites - and leave it there. It will use the ephem files on the devices to locate and fix on the avaiable satellites in your area.

Just try it and see. I have gone from seeing zero satellites indoors to getting 9 after a while.
                            Last edited by fairytooth; 27th October 2011, 07:35.

Comment

ive noticed mystuff has been saving to my computer and not my gps...so i have to go into tt home and transfer them to the gps.

Comment

Working...
                              X