This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new device? Which to choose

I just had my Tomtom One XLS stolen, so looking for the best current model to replace it from the hacking point of view., or what is a good used one to buy.

Brightness is important, larger size is important. Having SD card slot is probably important, because I could hack the card without changing the internal unit at all.

Location Canada
    M
    Last edited by biggerdave; 6th September 2011, 11:20. Reason: merged common threads

Re: best current TOMTom To buy ?

go 720 or 730 they have sd card slot and 2gb internal. Depends on what you want to pay. A go 740 or 750 will be more expensive. only my opinion. others may have different views.

Comment

Get the cheapest TT you can find with a 4.3" screen, 64MB RAM memory, 2GB internal storage and SD slot. With these you can use any map.
      rgds jarkita
      TT Onev1, 9.430 by bmwdriver, 900.4602-> UK&RoI, Europe; 895.4438 -> PL.
      No support over PM - check Tomtom Tutorials Section and ask within forums.
      Biggest lie in the inernet: I searched but did not find.

Comment

i have go 720 and works really great.

Comment

I have been using a hacked navcore on my 720 for a while now. Does anyone know, if you get a stock 720 and use a stock NavCore, do you get ALG and IQRoutes? Or do you still have to use a hacked navcore?
          And if you are using a hacked navcore, can you still grab the ALG/IQ maps from the mapupdate program?

Comment

ALG and IQ routes are associated with specific maps but do need a certain minimum navcore.
            There used to be a sticky on the old GPSU forum showing what each map version contained. I would presume it will eventually re appear when the site is finished.

Comment

If you don't need blutooth the 630 is a good bet, but if you want blutooth a 720, or 730 is nice. Between the 720 and 730 I would probably go with the 730. The reason I would go with the 730 is because the 720 has a history with the internal drive going bad, although even if the internal flash goes bad you can still use a SD card, and it will boot from the external drive.

Comment

Im thinking about getting the GO 630.
                Why do you say "if you dont need bluetooth get the 630"? I thought it has BT capability?
                Anyone else have first hand experience with the 630 and hacking it?

Thx.

Comment

Guess I have to eat some crow. I had a 630 that was not bluetooth, must have been one of the early ones. I just went to the tt website and looked up the 630 and now it is bluetooth capable.
                  Sorry about the disinformation.

Comment

Why not 930 or 950? thnks for answer, I'l also going to buy one

Comment

Well if it was me,

I would say dont bother with any of the above and go get a 910 had mines for 4 years now and it just keeps going no matter what i throw at it, it currently emulates a 950 with UK & ROI, Europe 2gb and Iberia [845][ Navcore 9.026]

Thats my opinion there cheap very easy to fix and if you get bored using it as a sat nav you can always watch movies on it with the 20gb HD.

Dues

Comment

630 has Bluetooth, but misses FM transmitter. Not something you would use every day.

In my opinion, the x20 and x30 are the best if you do not care for Live Services/HD traffic (paid subscription) since it is easy to connect a TMC transmitter to them (USB or jack, but then part number 0013 only).

Differences between x20 and x30 are cosmetic only (although on the 730 the 2GB flash memory seems to be improved on). All have an SDHC card slot and will accept cards of at least 16 GB. Current navcore is 8.351 which does support ALG, IQroutes and all.
                        They are also the device of choice for running truck navcore 8.395 since the Go 7000 truck is essentially a 720 with GPRS modem. Having said that, the Go 9000 is a 940, so x40 devices will run truck navcore too.

Differences between 5xx, 7xx and 9xx:
                        520/530 have 1 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth and come with regional maps from the region they were bought in.
                        720/730 have 2 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth and come with continental maps of the continent they were bought in.
                        920/930 have 4 GB internal, FM, Bluetooth, remote control and EPT and come with maps of Europe and US/Canada resp AUS and US/Canada.

EPT: Enhanced positionin technology. It uses an accelerometer and gyroscope to measure speed and direction continuously in order to keep navigating in tunnels, between highrise buildings when you lose track of GPS satellites.

After having collected all the above info over the last months, I have searched for and found my new Tomtom, a Go 920T with TMC receiver. This weekend I will start playing with a class 10 SDHC card on which I will try navcore 9.051 and 9.101.

Comment

I have upgraded from the XL One to the GO 950 and can say that it works fast and the bluetooth works a treat with my iPhone.

And even works well with the Truck maps.

Comment

I would highly recommend the XXL 530S. The 5" screen is awesome and the speed is great (2GB storage, 64MB ram).

Comment

Just bought a GO920 on ebay... waiting for delivery, Seems to have a lot of resources. I hope it works out

Comment

Working...
                              X