The owner is retiring, its time to let go of this awesome community to someone else who can continue the journey. This forum is for sale ( vBulletin license and domain name), The forum generates income from marketing, adsense, and membership. please send your REASONABLE offer to ibro0079@gmail.com if you are interested in buying it.

Announcement

Collapse

For Sale

The owner is retiring, its time to let go of this awesome community to someone else who can continue the journey. This forum is for sale ( vBulletin license and domain name). Please send your REASONABLE offer to ibro0079@gmail.com if you are interested in buying it. The forum generates income from marketing,
adsense, and membership

See more
See less

FASTER way of getting TomTom Maps???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyberdawgy
    started a topic FASTER way of getting TomTom Maps???

FASTER way of getting TomTom Maps???

I'm a newbie in spite of having figured out Navcores, Fast Activating, etc. from all the good people on this forum. But I can't seem to get around the issue of actually getting AT the maps that I need.

Every time I go download a map from a link, I get directed to "filefactory", "uploaded.to", "linkcrypt.ws" or a dozen other PITA sites that re-direct you to download this or that garbage. My question is.... is there no way to share maps without spending giga amounts of time hitting all these links only to find they are ad sites, deadlinks, or jdownloader required? If I'm lucky to get a link that does give me a map, then a site will hit me up with "Captcha", or "limit exceeded for downloading", "reconnect" or some other crap.

All I'm looking for is one Map ==> 935.5745 United States & Mexico 1GB, instead I spend many hours trying to find and get thru a link that will supply the map. Inevitably there are a dozen hoops to jump through, only to find there's no map!

There's gotta be a better way that I am missing to get my TomTom map. Is there another free file sharing service or torrent for these maps to be made available?

- frustrated newbie

• Teuchter
    replied
    Re: FASTER way of getting TomTom Maps???

Originally posted by cyberdawgy View Post
    ...figure it out dude.
    So, even though you wrote it, you don't know what it means either, huh?

Leave a comment:

• cyberdawgy
    replied

Originally posted by Teuchter View Post
    First, please don't try to patronise me by replying in a form of language used and understood by only a minority of our population which doesn't include me. Patronise? When you're told it's patronize not patronise, that's patronizing. This must be a form of language even patronized people understand. Yo?

A general rule is that if you don't understand what the norms are in a new "space" then you sit back, watch and wait until you are more familiar with those norms before launching forth as you have done. Patronise me with more general rules O' mighty one.

I did not treat your post as a true "ad hominem" attack, how could it be since you don't know me? You can debate what's a true ad hominem on your own but only after you've created more maps for downloads.

What I tried to do, and seem to have been at least partially successful, was make you aware of some of the background about map sharing and downloading that most newbies seem not to appreciate, at least initially. It was very successful considering the one, maybe two, useful sentences in your first reply and I am very aware now thanks to you.

I'm pleased you found some of my post to be useful - I'm nonplussed by the remainder of your final sentence since I have no idea what the last few words ("your reply blows") are meant to mean. Were they intended to offend?
    ...figure it out dude.

Leave a comment:

• Teuchter
    replied

Dude, RELAX. My post was not an ad hominem so CHILL. It was more a moment of frustration in trying to do something which I would have thought to be simple. I am as stated a newbie and am not familiar with the ins and outs of playing in this space. I thought maybe there was something that I was missing in trying to get a map (go back and READ). Sounds like everyone else has the same issues that I hadn't realized and the choice of using upload / download sites involves maybe.... dollars?

Jdownloader works okay except I usually get a limit exceeded after a few kbs. Does that mean I really need learn to use Jdownloader? Oh gee...

Yep when I get more proficient with this I DO have a couple of maps that were BOUGHT to be shared here. By torrent of course and not through frustrating sites that lead nowhere.

As for thanking the good people here... I take time to send PMs instead of clicking a button like you suggest. It's more meaningful don't you think? Speaking of which.... thank you for the P.S. portion of your note. Now that was truly useful information because the rest of your reply blows.
    First, please don't try to patronise me by replying in a form of language used and understood by only a minority of our population which doesn't include me.

A general rule is that if you don't understand what the norms are in a new "space" then you sit back, watch and wait until you are more familiar with those norms before launching forth as you have done.

I did not treat your post as a true "ad hominem" attack, how could it be since you don't know me?

What I tried to do, and seem to have been at least partially successful, was make you aware of some of the background about map sharing and downloading that most newbies seem not to appreciate, at least initially.

I'm pleased you found some of my post to be useful - I'm nonplussed by the remainder of your final sentence since I have no idea what the last few words ("your reply blows") are meant to mean. Were they intended to offend?

Leave a comment:

• cyberdawgy
    replied

Originally posted by Teuchter View Post
    None of those maps actually come for free!

Someone has to buy them initially and then have the generosity to make them available to others by posting them on their preferred file-sharing website. (Their map, their choice!)

Instead of writing to complain, perhaps you'd be better off spending the time learning how to use JDownloader.

Or buying a map and sharing it with us all. And if you share it, perhaps you could also invest a little bit of time learning how to create torrents so we can avoid all the dreaded downloading problems you have encountered. Every torrent you see on this website was initially downloaded the hard way by someone (mostly me).

I note that you have previously received help from this website. I also note the lack of "Thanks" being recorded in your stats! It only takes a moment to hit the thanks button at the bottom of every Post but it lets those who have helped you know that their efforts were appreciated.

P.S. I note their is currently no meta code available for the map 935.5745 United States & Mexico 1GB which is one of the reasons I have not created a torrent for it. If the meta never becomes available, the effort in downloading and creating a torrent would be wasted!
    Dude, RELAX. My post was not an ad hominem so CHILL. It was more a moment of frustration in trying to do something which I would have thought to be simple. I am as stated a newbie and am not familiar with the ins and outs of playing in this space. I thought maybe there was something that I was missing in trying to get a map (go back and READ). Sounds like everyone else has the same issues that I hadn't realized and the choice of using upload / download sites involves maybe.... dollars?

Jdownloader works okay except I usually get a limit exceeded after a few kbs. Does that mean I really need learn to use Jdownloader? Oh gee...

Yep when I get more proficient with this I DO have a couple of maps that were BOUGHT to be shared here. By torrent of course and not through frustrating sites that lead nowhere.

As for thanking the good people here... I take time to send PMs instead of clicking a button like you suggest. It's more meaningful don't you think? Speaking of which.... thank you for the P.S. portion of your note. Now that was truly useful information because the rest of your reply blows.

Leave a comment:

• Teuchter
    replied

I'm a newbie in spite of having figured out Navcores, Fast Activating, etc. from all the good people on this forum. But I can't seem to get around the issue of actually getting AT the maps that I need.

Every time I go download a map from a link, I get directed to "filefactory", "uploaded.to", "linkcrypt.ws" or a dozen other PITA sites that re-direct you to download this or that garbage. My question is.... is there no way to share maps without spending giga amounts of time hitting all these links only to find they are ad sites, deadlinks, or jdownloader required? If I'm lucky to get a link that does give me a map, then a site will hit me up with "Captcha", or "limit exceeded for downloading", "reconnect" or some other crap.

All I'm looking for is one Map ==> 935.5745 United States & Mexico 1GB, instead I spend many hours trying to find and get thru a link that will supply the map. Inevitably there are a dozen hoops to jump through, only to find there's no map!

There's gotta be a better way that I am missing to get my TomTom map. Is there another free file sharing service or torrent for these maps to be made available?

- frustrated newbie
    None of those maps actually come for free!

Someone has to buy them initially and then have the generosity to make them available to others by posting them on their preferred file-sharing website. (Their map, their choice!)

Instead of writing to complain, perhaps you'd be better off spending the time learning how to use JDownloader.

Or buying a map and sharing it with us all. And if you share it, perhaps you could also invest a little bit of time learning how to create torrents so we can avoid all the dreaded downloading problems you have encountered. Every torrent you see on this website was initially downloaded the hard way by someone (mostly me).

I note that you have previously received help from this website. I also note the lack of "Thanks" being recorded in your stats! It only takes a moment to hit the thanks button at the bottom of every Post but it lets those who have helped you know that their efforts were appreciated.

P.S. I note their is currently no meta code available for the map 935.5745 United States & Mexico 1GB which is one of the reasons I have not created a torrent for it. If the meta never becomes available, the effort in downloading and creating a torrent would be wasted!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X